Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search

Mercer County, Pennsylvania


Mercer County Courthouse is located at 5 Diamond Street, Mercer PA 16137; phone: 724‑662‑3800.

TOWNS

Beginnings [1]

Formed March 12, 1800; named for General Hugh Mercer of the Revolutionary War, who was killed in the Battle of Princeton; rolling land, well watered with springs and creeks; coal underlying one-fourth of land in the county; chief industries are iron, steel, and agriculture; early settlers were Scotch-Irish. In 1812, Mercer County people were frequently called upon to aid in defense of Erie; the whole county would be aroused in a day by runners; in a few hours most of the men, whether militia or volunteers, would be on the march; one call came on Sunday, while service was being held in the courthouse; the sermon was suspended, news announced, benediction given, and immediate preparation for march commenced; at another time, news of threatened invasion came in the middle of grain harvest; the response was immediate, only one old man was left in the town.

In Year 2005 ... [2]


  1. Archambault, A. Margaretta, ed., A Guide Book of Art, Architecture, and Historic Interests in Pennsylvania, John C. Winston Company, Philadelphia, 1924
  2. Mercer County Comprehensive Plan Executive Update, 2005, www.mcrpc.com, accessed August 2009

HISTORIC SITES