Liberty Township municipal offices are located at 2873 Mercer‑Butler Pike, Grove City, PA 16127.
The principal early settlements of Liberty Township were in the vicinity of Courtney's Mills, on Wolf Creek near the Butler County line. William Gill, a soldier of the Revolution, came to this vicinity about 1797. About the close of the century David and Thomas Courtney secured the large tract of land on both sides of Wolf creek, part of which has continued in the possession of the heirs to the present time. A log mill for making both lumber and flour was built by David Courtney in 1803, and ever since Courtney's Mills have not only furnished a name to the community but have maintained a reputation for their products.
The Wolf Creek branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad has in recent years given railroad transportation to Liberty township. The stations of Carmona, Courtney's Mills and Heath are shipping points for this township. Carmona is located on land owned by D.W. Smith, whose connection with the township goes back to pioneer times.
James George was a prominent early settler on a tract of land between Wolf Creek and North Liberty. The place was called Georgetown, and a village of that name was once started but failed to grow. His brick house, built about 1828, was a landmark in that section, and his activity in various works entitle him to distinction in this history. Coal was mined on his place about 1822, and just across the line in Butler County a company of which he was a member struck the first oil and gas well in this part of the state, in 1838. He was also one of the early county commissioners.
The Uber family mills along the Butler turnpike were the foundation of a small hamlet, and the presence of a German Lutheran church, dating from about 1816, and the nationality of many of the residents caused the name Amsterdam to be applied to this locality.