Sugar Grove Township municipal building is located at 359 Groover Road, Greenville PA 16125.
Originally the boundary line between Greene and Salem Townships was the canal. In November, 1856, when Sugar Grove Township was created, territory on both sides of this water way was taken to make the new township. The name was suggested by a grove of maple trees that stood near Kennard.
The first settlers came about 1798. The Roberts colony located on various tracts of land which by the later township boundaries lie in both Salem and Sugar Grove. In the country east of the Shenango and on both sides of the Little Shenango many of the families who have been most prominently identified with the town and country life were established there a century or more ago. The Roberts family is one example. Other pioneers were: John Riley and Jacob Hannell, who came in 1798. Of the McGranahan family, John was assessed for taxes in 1801, and other members of the family were also in this vicinity at the time.
This township has three railroad lines. Where the Lake Shore crosses the Bessemer is the little village of Osgood, and on the other side of the river, at the junction of the Lake Shore and Erie, is Amasa Station.