West Salem Township municipal offices are located at 610 Vernon Road, Greenville PA 16125.
Salem was divided into Salem and West Salem townships in 1805. West Salem contained Greene and part of Hempfield until 1844 and 1856.
The same group of pioneers who located in Hempfield and about Greenville were also identified with the early settlement of West Salem Township. Several members of the Klinginsmith, Keck and Loutzenhiser families selected their homes in this township. The Kecks were especially identified with the country west of the Shenango.
William Fell was a settler of 1796. John Mossman came to this township in 1797 and about two years later a large family of that name were established here. The Mossmans have been active and prominent in each generation to the present time. On the Kinsman road, near the west line of the township, Mossmantown or West Salem post office was a small community that developed largely through the presence of this family. James W. Mossman was the postmaster when the post office was established in 1851, and the office remained in the keeping of the family during most of its existence. It was discontinued in 1875.
Richard Melvin and James Melvin, natives of Ireland, were settlers in 1798, and the family are still represented in the township. About the same time came William McClimans, a Revolutionary soldier, who after a useful life continued his name and character among many descendants.
Joseph Morford was living in this township before the close of the century, and well known citizens still honor the name here.
A physician of the township is one of the representatives of the Brown family, established here by Richard and Andrew in 1800. Other pioneers about this time were Henry Lininger, John Speir, Adam Miller.