The Sandy Lake Township municipal building is located at 3086 Sandy Lake‑Grove City Road, Sandy Lake PA 16145.
In the rough division of the county into four quarters or townships in 1801, what is now Sandy Lake was included in the northeast quarter, all of which then bore the name Sandy Lake. In the following year what is now Sandy Lake was probably included in the jurisdiction of Cool Spring, and at the revision of the township boundaries in 1805 the eastern portion of Cool Spring was set off and continued the name Sandy Lake. Its area then comprised what is now Worth township, and was reduced to its present size in 1849.
The honor of first settlement is given to Patrick McCloskey, a prominent Irish Catholic, who located here about 1797. The Egberts of this vicinity were first represented by William Egbert, a Revolutionary soldier, who was the first blacksmith. On land lying south of Sandy Lake Borough, Adam Hill built his home, which in the legislative act of April, 1805, is designated as the polling place for the township of Sandy Lake. Enos Sanford, C.A. Giebner, William Perrine and Allen Dunn were prominent pioneers either on account of their individual activities or for the families which have since represented them.