The Fairview Township Municipal offices are located at 2051 Perry Highway, Fredonia PA 16124.
Fairview Township originated in September, 1850. Thomas Coulson settled in this part of the county in 1798. He was a pioneer in other ways. He opened the first school, primarily for his own children, but invited those of his neighbors. His house was on the thoroughfare from Mercer north to the lakes, and he built the first tavern in the limits of the township, and during the war of 1812 entertained passing soldiers.
Along the old state road, about the center of the township, the turnpike company erected a tavern in 1825 where the stage horses were changed and where the daily interest and activities of such a place caused a village to grow. Here, in March, 1846, a post office was established. The name selected was Harthegig, after an Indian of that name who was a familiar character among the early settlers. James Sellors, the landlord of the stage tavern, was the first postmaster. The stage coaches have long since made their last trip over this road, and the busy traffic of the old times is forgotten save by the very old residents, and a few years ago the last excuse departed for longer continuing the post office, the residents along the road being supplied daily with their mail from a rural carrier's wagon. The only other village community in the township is at Fredonia, only a part of which lies in Fairview.
Among the pioneer families established in this township and identified with it as leading citizens were the Cubbisons, Alexanders, Boyds, Rambos. George Cubbison is said to have opened the first store in the township in 1848. Besides the many members of the Cool Spring Presbyterian congregation, at a later date were organized the Fairview Baptist church and the Oak Grove Wesleyan Methodists.