Thornbury Township municipal offices are located at 8 Township Drive, Cheyney PA 19319; phone 610-399-1425.
Home on Southgate Road compliments of
Gary Mercer | Keller Williams Greater West Chester
484-266-7440 (direct) | 610-436-6500 (broker)
Thornbury Lodge (also known as he William J. Barnard Residence), located at 920 East Street Road (Route 925) was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. At time of registration the property was known as the Green Shadows Farm. Text, below, was transcribed from a copy of the original nomination document.
Green Shadows was designed in 1900 by W. E. Jackson, a Chester County born architect who practiced in Philadelphia. By September of that year the foundations were laid. The newly dug 60' deep artesian well still provides the house with water. Work was completed in 1907.
The design is unique to Thornbury Township, and perhaps, to Chester County. Architect W.E. Jackson had a career-long association with Wilson Eyre, a nationally prominent Philadelphia architect whose free and original interpretation of the Queen Anne Style is evident in "Anglecot" (Chestnut Hill) and the "Jeffords Mansion" (Ridley Creek State Park. Unlike Eyre, few of Jackson's individual commissions are known, much less survive; he seems to have worked largely behind the scenes with Eyre in a loose partnership, until his death in 1930. Through Green Shadows, some insight might be gleaned concerning the quiet architect's talents and his long-term Wilson Eyre association.
The fact that W. E. Jackson and William Jackson Barnard (for whom the house was designed in 1900) were first cousins was typical of the manner in which commissions were secured through family and friends. Because the architectural drawings have been preserved and the structure itself remains so true to the original specifications, Green Shadows may serve as the ideal model for further study of early 20th century construction techniques and architectural practices. As a result of the fortunate preservation of the plans, old photographs, and the structure so rigorously maintained, the Athenaeum and the American Institute of Architects have requested, and are receiving, a duplicate of the material submitted to the National Register, and also on file with the Library of Congress.