Borough municipal offices are locate at 61 North 3rd Street, Hamburg PA 19526.
First settled about 1732, Hamburg was incorporated in 1837 from Windsor Township.
The borough has a wide variety of residences: late 19th and early 20th century row homes; townhomes built in the 1990s (Hawk Ridge); twins (semi-detached) from the 1920s and 1930s; plus detached singles from the mid to late 19th as well as representative homes from each decade beginning in the 20th century, through contemporary developments. (e.g. Wyndcliffe, circa 2002-2003).
Public school students attend the Hamburg Area School District.
The Hamburg Public Library (North 3rd Street) was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places around 1988. Text, below, was adapted from a copy of the original nomination document.
The Hamburg Public Library is representative of the high style buildings that appeared during the Victorian Period.
The Hamburg Public Library borrowed freely from a variety of turn of the century styles and incorporated a few inventions of its own. The roof lines are more reminiscent of the Gothic Revival style, the arched windows and doorways are Romanesque Revival, rusticated lintel and arch stones borrow from Richardsonian Romanesque Revival, yet the eave crown moldings are of Classical Greek Revival profile and the dormer window is decorated with filigree reminiscent of the Stick Style. The interior details and moldings echo a modified expression of Roman architecture.
Other high style buildings in Hamburg represent their styles in a similar manner These include the following:
Nearby Towns: Albany Twp • Centerport Boro • Centre Twp • Greenwich Twp • Lenhartsville Boro • Perry Twp • Shoemakersville Boro • Tilden Twp • Windsor Twp •