Township municipal offices are located at 874 Hex Highway, Hamburg PA 19526.
Tilden Township was taken from Upper Bern in 1887 and organized as a separate district. It was named after the unsuccessful candidate for the presidency in 1876. It lies just south of the Blue Mountains, and its northern boundary is only a short distance from the site where Fort Lebanon or Fort William stood. This fort was erected in 1754. It was one hundred feet square, had stockades fourteen feet high, a spring within, and also a house thirty by twenty with a large store-room. It was built in three weeks and protected over a hundred families in that vicinity.
During the French and Indian War small detachments of soldiers scoured the woods between Forts Henry, Northkill and Lebanon almost daily. On the 23rd of July, 1754, the commander of Fort Northkill marched along the mountain through Upper Bern and Tilden to Fort Lebanon where he remained during the night. Upon his return the next day, he learned that a boy fourteen years old was carried away by the Indians. The report later came to him that during the night the boy had made his escape while the Indians were drunk. They had tied him and made him lie between them.
The Hamburg Vitrified Brick Company was established in this township in 1891. The Mack Brothers of Philadelphia purchased it in 1896. Nine kilns are operated and ten million bricks are manufactured annually.
Most of the people are engaged in farming. Grist mills have been in operation in this district for many years.
Berks (West Hamburg), Bern Station and Upper Bern are the towns. Each has a number of business places.
Nearby Towns: Centerport Boro • Centre Twp • Hamburg Boro • Leesport Boro • Ontelaunee Twp • Perry Twp • Shoemakersville Boro • Windsor Twp •