Ewing Township municipal offices are located at 2 Jake Garzio Drive, Ewing NJ 08628; phone 609‑883‑2900.
Originally part of Hopewell Township, Ewing was incorporated in 1834. When Trenton was incorporated in 1719, the area was known as Trenton Township. The name was changed in 1834 in honor of Charles Ewing who served as a Chief Justice on the New Jersey State Supreme Court.
[ continued ]
[ continued ]
Prior to the American Revolution, Ewing was sparsely populated and heavily wooded. After the war, the area gradually changed to primarily agricultural use, and subsequently, to industrial. By the early 1900s the Trenton Industrial complex was in full bloom and surrounding areas including Ewing became more urban-like.
The townships economy is strongly tied to New Jersey State and Mercer County Governments. Within its borders are the Trenton Psychiatric Hospital, the College of New Jersey, the Katzenbach School for the Deaf, NJ Department of Transportation, NJ Distribution Center, Mercer County Airport, and the Mercer County Road Maintenance Facility. Ewing is approximately 70 percent residential.
Township government operates under a mayor and council (4-year elected terms). Ewing operates a large-scale municipal police department, and is served by three fire companies.
Nearby Towns: Falls Twp • Hopewell Twp • Lawrence Twp • Lower Makefield Twp • Morrisville Boro • Pennington Boro • Trenton City • Yardley Boro •