Waterbury City Hall is located at 236 Grand Street, Waterbury, CT 06702.
Waterbury was named and incorporated as a town in 1686. Prior to that the settlement was called "Matetacoke," named by the Indians meaning "place without trees." It's current name is derived because of the abundance of streams in the area which flow to the Naugatuck River which flows through the city. Waterbury was subsequently re-incorporated, as a city, in 1853.
Waterbury's history dates to the 17th century, but it wasn't until the 18th and 19th centuries that the City earned its lasting reputation as the nation's "Brass City." The City's downtown is home to a classic New England green; striking municipal buildings; historic churches ranging from Gothic‐inspired styles to the opulent Baroque; a train station with a bell‐tower fashioned after a Romanesque tower from Siena, Italy; a luxuriantly renovated theater; small carriage houses; grand commercial structures with Renaissance Revival facades and side streets graced with renovated Victorian homes. 
In the course of the summer of 1678, a few houses were erected on the newly selected site for the village. They were constructed of logs, after the fashion of the new settlements of the day, and with naked ground, or in some cases, if the soil was wet, or the occupants were persons of taste and substance, with split logs for a floor. They were "good and substantial dwellings," doubtless, ("mansion houses," they were sometimes called,) "at least 18 feet in length and 16 feet wide, and nine feet between the joints with a good chimney" of stone and clay mortar, according to the requirements of the subscribed articles; but they were not what would be called fashionable. They might have been picturesque provided the spectator stood far enough off.
The village streets were laid out, in the beginnings, very nearly, in most cases, where they still are — three running east and west, something more than half a mile long, and three shorter ones running north and south, the four outside streets forming an irregular oblong square, the east being more than twice as broad as the west end. The west street on the map of Waterbury, published in 1852, was called Willow Street; the east, Mill Street and Cherry Street; the north, Grove Street, and the south, Grand Street and Union Street; while the central streets were named West Main, East Main, North Main and Cook Streets.
Nearby Towns: Middlebury Town • Naugatuck Boro • Naugatuck Town • Prospect Town • Watertown Town • Wolcott Town •