Naugatuck Town Hall is located at 229 Church Street, Naugatuck CT 06770.
Phone: 203‑720‑7000. Naugatuck is a consolidated Town/Borough.
The Town of Naugatuck was first settled in 1702, and incorporated in 1844. Salem parish of Waterbury had been organized in 1781. The Borough of Naugatuck was incorporated in 1893.
There were early woolen mills and metal factories. Naugatuck was closely associated with Charles Goodyear and the development of the rubber industry. His father, Amasa Goodyear, manufactured buttons, hardware and farm implements, and invented the fork with tines of steel rather than wrought iron. Charles was associated with his father until 1831. Though his heroic attack on the vulcanization of rubber was made elsewhere, a brother, Henry, began making rubber goods here in 1843, and the Naugatuck factory was the first to be licensed under the patent of 1844. During the Civil War Naugatuck supplied rubber blankets for the Union ArmyIn 1935 the footwear division of the U.S. Rubber Company was concentrated in the borough. Also a large rubber glove factory and a rubber reclaiming plant.
Nearby Towns: Beacon Falls Town • Bethany Town • Middlebury Town • Naugatuck Boro • Oxford Town • Prospect Town • Waterbury City •