Naugatuck Borough Hall is located at 229 Church Street, Naugatuck CT 06770.
Phone: 203‑720‑7000. Naugatuck was incorporated as a borough in 1844. It was consolidated with the Town of Naugatuck in 1895; the borough and the town remain, to this day, co‑extensive. Naugatuck is a consolidated Town/Borough.
Naugatuck was destined to become an industrial community. Like many towns in the Naugatuck Valley, agricultural prospects were marginal because of the terrain, but there was an abundance of waterpower to be harnessed by the settlers. Soon after they came here from Waterbury in the late seventeenth century, the customary grist- and sawmills were set up along the tributaries of the Naugatuck River north and south of the district. These mills continued to flourish in the scattered villages that comprised Waterbury's Salem Parish, established just before the Revolution. During the war, when English goods were not available, Salem mill owners turned to the production of such items as buttons, needles, cutlery, and clocks. By the time the Town of Naugatuck was incorporated in 1844 with a population of 1730, more than 25 water-powered commercial mills were producing textiles and agricultural tools and the Naugatuck River itself was dammed. The world's first commercial rubber industry was launched in the 1840s and full-scale industrial development followed the arrival of the railroad in 1849.
Nearby Towns: Beacon Falls Town • Bethany Town • Middlebury Town • Naugatuck Town • Oxford Town • Prospect Town • Waterbury City •