This neighborhood of approximately 35 detached, single family homes was built beginning in the 1920s. It was Lower Makefield's first subdivision to be planned and developed with sidewalks and street lights.
21 homes were built in the 1920s; 3 in the 1940s; 3 in the 1950s; 9 in the 1960s. Homes range from approximately 1,500 to more than 5,000 sq. ft. with a median of approximately 2,700 sq. ft. Typical lot sizes range from approximately 1/4 to 2/3rds of an acre.
Hints at the derivation of the subdivision's name are found in George MacReynolds' 1942 book, Place Names in Bucks County, excerpted below.
The first extended chain of hills of importance above tidewater, northwest of the coastal plain area, stretching entirely across the county from the river Delaware to the Montgomery line and passing through the lower part of Lower Makefield, Middletown and Northampton Townships and the central part of old Southampton Township. The rocks of this ridge are of metamorphic formation of considerable economic importance, producing a well-known micaceous building stone, and a flat schist, also for building purposes, but chiefly for flagging, being known locally as "milkhouse stone." Quarries have been opened in this ridge at Rocksville, Trevose, Langhorne, Neshaminy Falls and Morrisville. At Morrisville the formation dips under the Delaware River. The ridge's highest elevation is 200 feet at Langhorne. Edge Hill is also the name of a former hamlet on this ridge in the extreme southwest corner of Lower Makefield.
School District: Pennsbury