- The Skinnerville-Greenville Heights Historic District reflects Greenville's growth as a tobacco market and regional educational center and illustrates a national increase in urban population and a trend towards suburban development that began in the mid-1800s when Frederick Law Olmsted emerged as the country's preeminent landscape architect. Although the District is laid out on a relatively flat grid, its primary design principles of large lots in a formally subdivided tract set apart from downtown are local interpretations of national suburban design trends. [Pitt County, NC] [ Map ]
- The Pitman Grove Historic District is a good, surviving example of a planned community from the 19th century. As a camp meeting town, it represents a form of religious practice which was quite widespread in its time. The buildings, with their high pitched roofs, simple massing, and doll house scale give The Grove charm. The radial pathways set up vistas whose rhythmic progressions of gables are made more interesting by subtle variation in height. [Gloucester County, NJ] [ Map ]
- Chestertown — originally knowns as New Town, the seat of Kent County was laid out in 1706 and chartered in 1708. The town's growth as a major port began in 1730, when its owner, Simon Wilmer, resurveyed his land and laid out the existing grid plan of streets and house lots. [Maryland]
- The Historic Whiteaker Neighborhood was first platted in the 1850s. In addition to the Blair Boulevard Historic Commercial area, there are four individually listed National Register properties located in the Whiteaker neighborhood. Single family houses were the norm until after World War II when apartment houses became common. Although it began as primarily a residential neighborhood, it evolved into a mix of land uses. [Eugene, Lane County, OR] [ Map ]
- Easttown Township was established in 1704 in the extreme eastern portion of Chester County, Pennsylvania. In the early 1900's, Easttown was a thickly settled farming district that included some fine country estates of wealthy Philadelphians. Many of these affluent residents used the train on the "Main Line" to commute to their city businesses.
- The Ercildoun Historic District, located at a prominent crossroads in East Fallowfield Township, was settled at the end of the 18th century and had its greatest period of development in the third historic period of East Fallowfield, 1811-1865. Ercildoun's most important historical significance is in the area of social/humanitarianism because of its level of involvement with the abolitionist movement This movement was active on two levels: a political protest and participation in the underground railroad. [Chester County, PA] [ [Map ]
- Just Sold for $179,900 — 2 bedroom, 2 bath home on Centre Street in Morrisville Borough — on the market for only 8 days. Sold by Keller Williams Real Estate, Newtown.
[Bucks County, PA]
- The Goshenville Historic District has evolved from agricultural use to modern suburbia. Goshenville retains the integrity of its eighteenth and nineteenth century setting. Its historic core—the Goshen Friends Meeting complex—remains, virtually unchanged since its present building was erected in 1855. The collection of intact vernacular and higher style houses surrounding the complex are indicative of the Quaker building tradition and stylistic influences incorporated into buildings constructed throughout rural Chester County, PA during the mid-18th to late 19th centuries. [East Goshen Township] [ Map ]
- Just Listed For Sale — 4 bedrooms, 3-1/2 baths on Thornbury Lane in Rosefield, [ Map ]; $650,000; phone The John McClintock Team at 267-759-9523 for an appointment to preview this home. [Bucks County, Pennsylvania]
- The Black Rock Historic District includes the remains of the village of Black Rock, third most important seaport in Connecticut after the Revolutionary War and important shipbuilding center in the years immediately preceding the Civil War. It includes examples of every major American architectural style from the late Medieval of the 17th century to the Italianate of the mid-19th, as well as some resort and suburban styles of the later Victorian era. [Bridgeport, CT] [ Map ]
- The Bush Hill Historic District is an unusually high concentration of well-preserved 18th-century farmhouses. The District retains the open fields, stone walls, and tree-lined roads which provide an appropriate setting for the houses, one which recalls the area's historical development as an outlying farming district. Homes in the area exemplify rural 18th-century Connecticut domestic architecture: they embody the distinctive characteristics of that period's form and method of construction. [Town of Brooklyn, Windham County] [ Map ]
- The City of Mankato, seat of Blue Earth County, Minnesota, is located at a large bend in the Minnesota River at its junction with the Blue Earth River. First settled in 1852 by P.K. Jackson and Henry Jackson, the Mankato Claim Company surveyed and platted a 600-acre townsite in May of 1852 which was reduced to 320 acres when the plat was filed later that month. The settlement was incorporated as a village in 1865.
- Beleden House — William E. Sessions' elegant brownstone mansion, occupies a prominent site on Federal Hill in the heart of Bristol, Connecticut. The house faces west on Bellevue Avenue, the showplace of a neighborhood that once had many fine homes. Some of the surrounding houses have now been demolished and replaced, for example, by a four-story nursing home directly across the street, others have been put to commercial purposes such as funeral homes, and others have been cut up into apartments, but Beleden House maintains its polished presence today as it did when it was built in 1908, a reminder of an affluent age. [ Map ]
- The person most responsible for the distinctive appearance of the Federal Hill Historic District was Joel Case. He laid out Spring Street in the mid-1880s and built every house on it, including the brick apartment house known as the Case Block; Case was responsible for some two dozen other houses by 1886. Case's work is distinguished by a singularly eclectic sense of design, including the incongruous juxtaposition of details, and the use of shapes not usually found in houses. [Bristol, Connecticut] [ Map ]
- The Wake Forest Historic District possesses a unique architectural character. The buildings include examples of each historical period and style from the early 19th century to the mid-20th century, many of them designed by notable local, state, and out-of-state architects. The campus of Wake Forest College and the surrounding Town of Wake Forest constitute one of the most significant groupings of historic buildings in Wake County, outside of the city of Raleigh.
- The Stevens Square Historic District provides an overview of apartment designs popular in Minneapolis in the period 1912-1926. A standard Renaissance Revival formula is evident on the exterior of most apartment buildings in the District. Nearly all buildings have dark red or dark brown face brick at the facade, and, except for those at corner locations, most are constructed of a light tan common brick at the sides and rear. [Hennepin County, MN] [ Map ]
- The the Nokomis Knoll Residential Historic District represents the first wave of residential development in this country where individual garages were standard amenities, a nod to the growing number of private automobiles among middle-class families. Furthermore, houses in the District display many well-preserved examples of the eclectic Period Revival architectural styles that were the height of middle-class fashion in residential districts during the 1920s and 1930s. [Minneapolis, MN] [ Map ]
- The Alexandria Residential Historic District encompasses one of the City's most remarkable residential neighborhoods. The District contains a dense concentration of buildings which are highly significant to the study of residential architecture in Alexandria, including a number of landmark examples of Tudor Revival and Shingle styles. [Alexandria, Minnesota] [ Map ]
- The Pine Hill Residential Historic District is noted for the number of architecturally significant houses. Many medical professionals affiliated with the nearby Mayo Clinic have traditionally made Pill Hill their home. The District remains substantially intact and thus conveys a sense of architectural cohesiveness through its design, setting, and materials. [Rochester, Minnesota] [ Map ]
- The Middle Haddam Historic District is a well-preserved New England riverport village whose primary significance lies in its direct association and participation in the first one hundred and fifty years of the maritime development of the United States (1730-1880). Merchant shipping from the port was primarily involved in the coastal and West Indies trade. [East Hampton, CT] [ Map ]
- The Bassickville Historic District is significant as a cohesive, generally well-preserved, late-nineteenth century housing development, composed primarily of vernacular Stick Style cottages built between 1883 and 1885, which are representative examples of the working class housing produced in that period by technological advances in the building trades. A forerunner of the mass-produced housing of Bridgeport in the 20th century, the District is historically important as one of the first rental-housing developments in the city. [Fairfield County, CT]
[ Map ]
- The Meadville Downtown Historic District encompasses a broad cross section of resources reflecting the City's role as a major center of settlement, government, business and industry from the turn of the 19th Century to the early 20th Century. Within the District are a continuum of architectural styles from the early 1800's to 1940.
[City of Meadville, Pennsylvania] [ Map ]
- Home prices heat-up in some of Levittown's premier neighborhoods. Over the past 12 months, homes in Snowball Gate and Red Rose Gate continue to command the highest resale prices among Levittown, PA's 40 neighborhoods ($319,000 median). Median lot size in The Gates is approximately 1/3rd of an acre while median interior living space is approximately 2,500 sq. ft.
- The Embreeville Historic District is situated on the east and west banks of the West Branch Brandywine River in Newlin Township, Chester County, PA. Its 12 principal buildings are clustered in two groups and separated by the river which makes a dramatic bend here. Route 162 parallels the river and, like, it, twists and turns through the rolling countryside. [ Map ]
- The Main Street Historic District contains a particularly high concentration of historic buildings which trace the town's development for over 200 years. More than half of the surviving resources are found within the District; it displays an exceptional degree of architectural integrity and craftsmanship. Of particular note is the unusual number of well-preserved 18th century houses, as well as the quality of the public buildings. [Town of Durham, CT] [ Map ]
- The Frog Hollow Historic District is a rare remaining example of how simultaneous growth of industrial and residential facilities complemented each other as the process of urbanization progressed. While the great majority of individual buildings are not architecturally distinguished, they do provide excellent, well preserved examples of their types, and Hartford, Connecticut's best architects of the era are represented by several buildings in the district. [ Map ]
- The Thomas Oliver House is an intact, representative example of Queen Anne style residential architecture in Lockport, Niagara County, NY. Constructed in 1891-1892, this two-and-one-half story residence embodies typical characteristics of the style. These features include, steeply pitched hipped roof with cross gables, asymmetrical facade, projecting pavilions, recessed porch and spindlework ornamentation. [ Map ]
- The Branford Point Historic District forms one of Branford's best-preserved concentrations of late-18th through early 20th century residential architecture. Its buildings include several individually distinct as well as numerous modest examples of major architectural styles which emerged in Branford over the course of this era. The earliest houses in the Branford Point Historic District are the ca.1785 John Linsley House at 99 Harbor Street and Obed Linsley's ca.1800 "Tide Mill House" at 202 Harbor Street. [New Haven County, CT] [ Map ]
- The Hopkins House is an example of the simple, modest stone houses constructed by the village's working and middle-class families during the 3rd and 4th decades of the 19th century. The houses' simple rectangular block massing, front-gable orientation, and three bay/side entrance facade are typical characteristics of the City of Lockport's domestic architecture during the period. [Niagara County, NY]
[ Map ]
- The Main Street Historic District contains a high concentration of historic residential and public buildings dating from 1750 to 1933. After 1780, buildings were built in every decade, 150 years of almost continuous architectural development. The District illustrates the transformation of a rural, eighteenth century settlement to the residential and institutional nucleus of a twentieth century town. [Cromwell, Connecticut] [ Map ]
- The Somers Historic District in the center of Somers, Connecticut, includes a large number of well-preserved houses from the early 19th century, a Gothic Revival cottage, two 19th-century churches, a large inn, an early store, several interesting barns and stables. Most of the structures are arranged along Main Street, a major east-west thoroughfare, with small offshoots to the north up Springfield Road and Battle Street. The long, narrow shape of the Somers Historic District goes back to the settlement pattern of the 19th century, when the area was known as "Somers Street."
[ Map ]
- The Dayville Historic District is a concentration of mid-19th century buildings that have retained their architectural integrity and historical context. Especially noteworthy are a number of distinguished and well-preserved examples of Greek Revival and Italianate architecture. The District retains the distinctive spatial characteristics of a mid-19th century village, including the linear arrangement of residences set on large lots. [Town of Killingly, Windham County, CT] [ Map ]
- The Compo-Owenoke Historic District encompasses a small residential waterfront community on Long Island Sound in Westport, Connecticut. It includes Compo Beach and the associated residential areas of Compo and Owenoke to the north and west. Compo is a densely settled summer colony laid out in the early twentieth century. Owenoke, a contiguous residential area on the west, is located on a spit of land on the east bank of the Saugutuck River estuary. [ Map ]
- The City of Wauwatosa started as a small farming community clustered around the mills built by Charles Hart. In 1849, the Watertown Plank Road, a privately held toll highway, was constructed along the route of the present day State Street. [Milwaukee County, WI]
- In the Stouchsburg Historic District, the overall village design and conservation of structure symbolize the tastes of the common man — the tradesperson, storekeeper, and factory worker of the 19th century. These people built sturdy houses with plain features not unlike the homes on the rural Pennsylvania German farmsteads of the same period. [Marion Township, Berks County, PA] [ Map ]
- In Levittown, Pennsylvania, more than half of the 40 neighborhoods saw average sale prices below $200,000 over the past year. One of them (Yellowood) had an average resale price below $100,000. The development of 17,000 detached, single family homes is popular with both first-time buyers and investors alike. [ Map ]
- The Spring-Douglas Historic District was developed over a period of approximately 150 years on land that was part of the original claims of two of Elgin's earliest settlers, Phineas J. Kimball and Vincent Lovell. James T. Gifford, town founder, settled on the east bank of the Fox River in what is now the Historic District in 1835. [Elgin, IL] [ Map ]
Bucks County Million-Dollar Neighborhoods
Settled home sales in these suburban and exurban residential subdivisions averaged $1-million-plus during the 12 months ending 4/30/2016.
- Ely Farm, Upper Makefield Township, $2,133,000
- Timber Lake Estates, Lower Makefield Township, $1,650,000
- Bellinghamshire Estates, Solebury Township, $1,450,000
- Jericho Mountain Estates, Upper Makefield Township, $1,360,000
- Cedar Glen, Upper Makefield Township, $1,338,000
- Arboresque, Solebury Township, $1,275,000
- Weatherfield, Upper Makefield Township, $1,230,000
- Highlands, Upper Makefield Township, $1,210,000
- Meadow Wood, Upper Makefield Township, $1,210,000
- Longmeadow, Upper Makefield Township, $1,077,000
- Bowmans Tower Farm, Upper Makefield Township, $1,048,000
- Sycamore Farms, Upper Makefield Township, $1,047,000
- Hidden Lake Estates, Newtown Township, $1,025,000
- The Dundalk Historic District encompasses the only two housing developments built by the United States Shipping Board Emergency Fleet Corporation (EFC) in Maryland during World War I. (Only 36 such projects were carried out by the EFC nationwide.) The district has remained relatively cohesive architecturally through six decades of sometimes rapid change in other parts of the Dundalk community. [ Map ]
- Norwood Park Historic District — in 1907 the Norwood Park Improvement Club published a promotional brochure entitled Norwood Park: The Ideal Suburb. The brochure boasts that Norwood Park "was originally laid out by the noted landscape designer of the World's Columbian Exposition," yet the name of the designer is not given. This quote has given rise to much speculation that perhaps Frederick Law Olmsted designed Norwood Park. [Chicago, IL] [ Map ]
- The United States Housing Corporation Historic District is historically significant as a well-preserved example of the first federally sponsored housing program in the United States. It was built by the agency which was created in 1918 expressly to build and manage housing developments for workers in strategic manufacturing centers throughout the country. Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., was the manager of the Town Planning Division of the United States Housing Corporation and had responsibility for this project. [New London, CT] [ Map ]
- Home For Sale on Terracedale Drive in the Delavue Manor neighborhood of Lower Makefield Township. This circa 1949 Colonial has 4 bedrooms and 2-1/2 baths. For more info or to arrange a private showing, contact The John McClintock Team at Keller Williams Real Estate, 267-759-9523. [ Map of Neighborhood ]
- The Virginia-Highland Historic District is comprised of several subdivisions platted over a 23-year time span by various real estate companies. The first suburban settlement was platted in 1904 by George W. Adair, spurred by the Nine-Mile Circle trolley. The District is overwhelming comprised of Craftsman-style Bungalows, the most common architectural type and style in the State during the early 20th century.
[Atlanta, GA] [ Map ]
- The Sycamore Historic District is a narrow strip comprised of single family, moderate-density residences along the town's most-prestigious residential streets. The oldest homes in the District date from well before the Civil War. [Sycamore, IL] [ Map ]
- The Southeast Third Street Residential Historic District homes include a variety of architectural styles and National Folk House building forms that reflect a continuum of single-family domestic design that spans the early 20th century era of residential development in Lee's Summit, Missouri. The contributing buildings date from circa 1908 to circa 1946 and retain physical forms and architectural elements that reflect the design trends popular during the time of their construction. [ Map ]
- The Twickenham Historic District is a museum of architecture spanning 16 decades (1814-1963), containing all of the periods of architectural styles. A large percentage of the structures are architecturally noteworthy. They range from a two-room, two-story frame Federal, to large mansions of several periods. [Huntsville, AL] [ Map ]
- The University Courts Historic District is comprised of four original subdivisions that were platted between 1910 and 1913. The comfortable, gracious homes in "The Courts" were built by developers, limestone men, and others whose fortunes were made in business and industry. Many were the homes of distinguished members of Indiana University's academic community. [Bloomington, IN] [ Map ]
- Coventryville Historic District — Coventryville was the center of the American metal industry, both at its birth in the colonial period and during its growth in the early nineteenth century. Colonial Coventryville was the site of Coventry Forge (the first in Chester County and the second in Colonial Pennsylvania), of the first steel furnace in the country, and of one of the earliest rolling mills.
[ Map ]
- The Diamond Hill Historic District, once one of Lynchburg's most fashionable residential neighborhoods, enjoyed its greatest prosperity at the turn of the 20th century. The District was laid out on a grid plan modified to accommodate the irregularities of the terrain. Only Clay Street retains its original brick surface, all other streets having been paved over. [Lynchburg, VA] [ Map ]
- The Cairnbrook Historic District consists of both an extractive coal facility and a company mining community designed by S.E. Dickey & Company, Civil and Mining Engineers of Johnstown for the Loyal Hanna Coal and Coke Company of Philadelphia on farm land acquired in Somerset County, PA between 1912 and 1920 from Jacob McGregor, a local farmer. [ Map ]
- The Crestwood Historic District was the product of the vision of Kansas City, Missouri developer Jesse Clyde Nichols, whose ideas and inspiration influenced an entire generation of American urban planning. Historians consistently cite him as a key figure in the history of American suburban growth and housing development. Nichols' subdivisions comprised the only residential developments in the United States which were part of a continuous planning process by one company. [ Map ]
- The Encanto-Palmcroft Historic District, including Encanto Park, was was conceived and largely built in the late 1920s and 1930s, the twilight of the City Beautiful Movement in the United States. A number of Phoenix, Arizona based architects and builders contributed to the creation of the District. Most prolific among them were Orville Bell (Wallingford & Bell) and H. H. Green. [ Map ]
- The John Bexell House was built by plans commissioned from the prominent Portland, Oregon architectural firm of "Bennes & Herzog" and dated May 1, 1926. One can presume that John Bexell, Dean of the School of Commerce at Oregon Agricultural College from 1908 to 1931, was well acquainted with John Bennes, architect for more than 30 years at Oregon Agricultural College and designer of at least 21 buildings on that campus between 1909 and 1939. [Corvallis, OR] [ Map ]
- The Henry Boody House in Brunswick, Maine is a major precursor of the later nineteenth century Stick Style. Designed in 1848, this unusual Gothic Revival cottage is the work of Gervase Wheeler, an English Architect who came to America in the 1840's. Wheeler's use of exterior detail to reflect internal construction expressed an emerging aesthetic of reality in architecture. Boody built the house from Wheeler's plans in 1849. [ Map ]
- The Orange Heights/Barnhart Tracts Historic District is one of the best and largest collections in Pasadena, California of single-family residential buildings produced during the Arts and Crafts Movement. The district primarily includes mature examples of the Movement in which the integration of Arts and Crafts ideals is apparent in the building form and characteristics, stylistic treatments, and exceptional craftsmanship. 50 buildings were constructed during the mature period of the Arts and Crafts movement, 1895-1918.
[ Map ]
- The Lincoln Street Historic District is a homogeneous grouping of mid-nineteenth century architecture. The vast majority of the houses were built within a year or two of each other, the land having been owned by Dr. Isaac Lincoln who divided it into lots which he sold to different owners within the space of a few months in 1843 and 1844. [Brunswick, Maine] [ Map ]
- The Mesilla Park Historic District is among the first suburbs of Las Cruces, New Mexico, developed as a complete town with commercial, industrial, and residential areas, all organized along the AT & SF rail line that runs alongside Main Street. Mesilla Park is representative of New Mexico towns in which the railroad was constructed before the founding of the town because the plan of Mesilla Park was organized around the railroad. [ Map ]
- The Forest Hills Historic District is a marvelously cohesive and intact expression of the picturesque ideals that came into vogue in the early 1920s, both in its architecture and in its landscaping. The neighborhood is clearly distinguished from the surrounding area by the brick piers flanking its major entrances, and by the old-style streetlights gracing its curbs. [Indianapolis, IN]
[ Map ]
- The Ashton Historic District offers a unique opportunity for an interdisciplinary study of the early American Colonial Period and the social and economic changes which occurred in the second quarter of the eighteenth century in New Castle County, Delaware, probably as a result of the shift from a tobacco economy to a wheat economy.
[ Map ]
- The Avery-Helm Historic District is primarily a residential neighborhood whose development reflected the development of the town of Corvallis, Oregon. The first lots within the district were sold and houses built in the Avery's Addition in the 1850s. New construction continued in the 1860s and 1870s and increased after the arrival of the railroad in 1880. A number of new homes were built between 1880 and 1900. The neighborhood experienced its peak period of development between 1900 and 1929, mirroring the overall growth of the community. [ Map ]
- The Southern Thames Historic District (historically a mostly working-class Irish neighborhood) is set in the port City of Newport on a west sloping, harborside location. The large neighborhood is divided into a grid of narrow lots by two major north-south arteries, Thames Street and Spring Street, and by many cross streets running east-west up the hill from the waterfront.
[Rhode Island] [Map]
- The Bay Shore Historic District reflects the architecturally diverse stylistic trends of early twentieth century residential design and the adaptation of these styles to the South Florida environment. Mediterranean Revival is the dominant style in the district and was the original developer's choice to define the architectural character of the area.
[Miami, Florida] [Map]
- The Stone Hill Historic District, a complex of workers' housing dating to the mid-19th century, consists of seven gridded blocks overlooking the Jones Falls. Associated with Mount Vernon Mills, the district is comprised of 21 granite duplexes, a granite Superintendent's House, and a granite service building, now converted to a duplex. [Baltimore, MD] [Map]
- Just Listed For Sale — 4 bedrooms, 2-1/2 baths on Hudson Drive in Yardley Hunt, [ Map ]; asking $449,900; phone RE/MAX Properties at 215-867-2525 for an appointment to preview this home. [Bucks County, Pennsylvania]
- Just Listed For Sale — 4 bedrooms, 2-1/2 baths on Lotus Place in Newtown Grant, [ Map ]; asking $529,900; phone RE/MAX Properties at 215-867-2525 for an appointment to preview this home. [Bucks County, Pennsylvania]
- Just Listed For Sale — 4 bedrooms, 3-1/2 baths on Pownal Drive in Longshore Estates, [ Map ]; asking $674,900; phone RE/MAX Properties at 215-867-2525 for an appointment to preview this home. [Bucks County, Pennsylvania]
- The Town of Winchester was settled in 1640 and incorporated in 1850. Variously named Woburn Gates, South Woburn and Black Horse Village, its present name came from Colonel Winchester, a Watertown businessman who presented his municipal namesake with $3,000. [Middlesex County, MA]
- The Town of New Shoreham is coextensive with Block Island. It lies 9 miles south of the Rhode Island shoreline and dominates the entrance to Long Island Sound. The island has hundreds of ponds which are fed by undergournd springs. The first Englishman who considered settling here was John Oldham. He visited the Island in 1636 on his return from a trading voyage, but was killed by the native Narragansett Indians in one of the events that led to the Pequot War of 1637.
- The Montgomery-Grand-Liberty Streets Historic District contains an outstanding architectural collection of buildings. Built in part by the wealth produced by Newburgh's waterfront, the area was unique in the renown of the architects that came to practice there. Drawings of some of these buildings they designed for the district were used as illustrations in the books they wrote, making the buildings prototypes in a new architectural era. [Orange County, NY] [ Map ]
- The Cato Hill Hill Historic District is a representative mid-nineteenth century, working class neighborhood of the sort developed in a rather informal fashion by individual property owners who built small houses for themselves or inexpensive tenements to rent out. The homes were occupied by waves of immigrant families drawn to American industrial cities by the opportunity find work. [Woonsocket, RI]
[ Map ]
- The Perry Homestead Historic District consists of six residential properties, all of which have strong historical associations with the Perry family. The properties share a verdant, park-like landscape featuring wooded areas, open lawn planted with large specimen trees, and intimate garden rooms. Together the three Perry brothers—Charles, Sr., Thomas, Jr. and Simeon—operated a "gentleman's farm," which spanned two properties at the north end of the District. [Westerly, RI] [ Map ]
- The Dr. William H. & Frances C. Axtell House (also known as the Axtell Apartments) is located just south of downtown Bellingham, Washington at 413 East Maple Street. The house is a conversion of a clapboard-sided 2-1/2 story Classical Revival style home into a stucco clad apartment complex. The transformation was completed by the original owner in 1926. [Bellingham, WA]
[ Map ]
- The Pastures Historic District reflects an era of more cohesive social patterns when people of varying means and different races chose to live in the same neighborhood. More than 75% of the surviving houses were erected between 1815 and 1855. Wealthy businessmen built elegant homes adjacent to more modest tradesmen's and craftsmen's dwellings. Homes of free black citizens were scattered amongst these as well. Workplace and dwelling place were frequently side-by-side. [Albany, NY] [ Map ]
- The Court Street/Chemeketa Street Historic District is a residential neighborhood with most of the houses having been built ca. 1860-1937. The District is named for its two east-west streets, which, though different, complement each other. Court Street is a 99‑foot wide boulevard with the District's larger and older houses. Chemeketa Street is narrower and lined with bungalows and cottages. [Salem, OR] [ Map ]
- The Aldo Leopold Neighborhood Historic District was platted in 1913 as the first subdivided portion of 400-acre Franz Huning estate. The northernmost block of the Huning Place Addition was lined with residences by 1920. Constructed within a period of just six years, all of the houses lining the one hundred block of South Fourteenth Street embodied a modest variety of the elements associated with the Craftsman/Bungalow style. [Albuquerque, NM] [ Map ]
- The Eldridge Avenue Historic District is a gracious residential area situated on a bluff overlooking Bellingham Bay. Character is imparted mainly by the impressive concentration of substantial 1885-1910 houses and by the quiet suburban street vistas canopied with mature hardwood and fir trees. [Bellingham, WA]
[ Map ]
- The South J Street Historic District is an architecturally significant complex of Queen Anne style, detached row houses. The eight buildings of this district form the largest group of row houses of this period, quality and style remaining in Washington State. [Tacoma, WA] [ Map ]
- The Harvard-Belmont Historic District encompasses a prime residential area on the west slope of Capitol Hill, one of Seattle's streetcar suburbs which blossomed during the first decade of the 20th century. Venerable names in Seattle's history are associated with the early development of the area. [Seattle, >WA] [ Map ]
- The East Hill Residential Historic District is distinguished from nearby residential and commercial districts by its visual coherence and character with respect to historic use and architecture. The contributing buildings are mostly two-story frame or masonry houses built in the styles typical of the late Victorian and early modern periods. Although the district is overwhelmingly residential, an important contributing inclusion is Stewart Park designed by Chicago landscape architects Ralph Root and Harry Hollister. [Wausau, WI] [ Map ]
- The Andrew Warren Historic District is a neighborhood of significant architecture ranging from the Greek Revival style to twentieth century Period houses. The district is especially significant because it includes buildings designed by nationally-significant Prairie School architect George W. Maher and talented Wisconsin architect Alexander Eschweiler. [Wausau, WI] [ Map ]
- D'Evereux (also known as D'Evereux Hall) is located at 170 D'Evereaux Drive, Natchez, Mississippi. Perfection of proportion and academic rendering of its structural and decorative detail make D'Evereux one of the outstanding American examples of the Greek Revival style. [ Map ]
- The Hollin Hills Historic District was developed by noted architect Charles M. Goodman, builder Robert C. Davenport and landscape architect Lou B. Voight. The District was the first modern subdivision in the the style, form, and materials of the houses and their harmonious siting within the unaltered, natural landscape. [Fairfax County, VA] [ Map ]
- The Southwest Holly Springs Historic District is the second largest of the community's three architecturally significant residential neighborhoods. is dominated by outstanding examples of Holly Springs' pre-Civil War Greek Revival architecture dominate the neighborhood. [Holly Springs, Mississippi]
[ Map ]
- East Lancaster Avenue Historic District — This section of Downingtown was developed because it was the halfway point on the main thoroughfare between Lancaster, the oldest inland town in the early Province, and Philadelphia. It also was the starting point for many westward movements; was the center of the county geographically; had major stagecoach stops, and laid the foundation for the Lancaster Turnpike in the 1790's. [Chester County, PA] [ Map ]
- The Nils Ahlstrom House (248 5th Street) was constructed in 1888 as a private residence for a railroad worker and his family. Located in the Railroad Addition to Ashland, Oregon the home is an excellent example of the kind of dwelling that housed railroad workers of the late nineteenth century. [ Map ]
- The Harry L. Whited House is a 1-1/2 story Queen Anne Cottage built in 1898 by local contractor C. H. Veghte for the family of H. L. Whited in Ashland, Oregon. The house (listed on the National Register in 1998) is a locally outstanding example that was undoubtedly inspired by pattern book sources. It is the only house of its type in the historic railroad community which incorporates an octagonal tent-roofed belvedere in the veranda. [ Map ]
- Picardy Place Historic District — in the mid-to-late 1800s in Memphis, (like the rest of the mid-south), wealthy landowners began to sell their property to be divided into residential subdivisions for profit. Picardy Place, followed this trend. The land was originally owned by Piggly Wiggly founder Clarence Saunders, and was once part of the property of James Chamberlain Jones. Jones, a former Governor of Tennessee. [ Map ]
- The Glenview Historic District occupies a significant place in history by virtue of how clearly it illustrates patterns of suburban development and changing demographics in Memphis, Tennessee. Glenview is a remarkably intact and well-kept area that preserves the architectural styles, scale, and landscape features of Memphis's early automobile suburbs. [ Map ]
- The Annesdale Park Historic District, developed in 1903, was known from its beginning as The First Subdivision of the South. It survived as an almost undisturbed collection of early 20th century architecture, reflecting the transitional period between ornate Victorian style houses and bungalows. The first residents of Annesdale Park were members of an emerging upper-middle economic class, benefiting from the prominence of Memphis in the cotton and lumber markets, and expanding wholesale and retail trade distribution. [Memphis, TN] [ Map ]
- The consistent architectural qualities of structures in the Shadowlawn Historic District are largely the a result of the pervasive control of William C. Chandler (1885-1962), its developer and builder. Chandler's intent for the Shadowlawn subdivision was to appeal to the middle class worker of South Memphis, Tennesse and it would appear that the rapid sale of his speculatively-developed houses proved his assumption correct. A random sampling of the occupations of residents in 1928 and 1932 confirms that the neighborhood appealed to the working middle class, including clerks, mechanics, carpenters, cashiers, office managers and factory workers. [ Map ]
- The Date Palm Manor Historic District was unlike any other residential development in Tempe, AZ at the time. The houses were not built fast and efficiently, but with skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail that represent the highest artistic expression of the Ranch style. As there was clearly a growing market for expensive houses, there were no restraints on size and design. The Agnew Construction Company used a variety of building materials and decorative elements. As every house had a unique design, the neighborhood as a whole exhibits every plan and profile associated with the Ranch house.
- Beyond the Carillon Neighborhood Historic District's period architecture, what sets apart the District is its significant social history. On land once cultivated by enslaved laborers and in a residential sector long restricted to white occupants by societal practice and Richmond, Virginia city ordinance, the community made the extraordinary decision to nurture racial integration in 1968.
- The Reservoir Hill Historic District is an urban neighborhood just south of Druid Hill Park in north Baltimore, Maryland. It is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Baltimore with regard to housing types. They range from early row houses and a surviving country estate to eclectic porch front rows, individual mansions, high-rise apartment buildings, a group of solar powered townhouses, and early suburban style villas. [ Map ]
- The Barre Circle Historic District evolved as a homogeneous architectural and social enclave in direct response to adjacent industrial expansion of the 1840s-1850s. Architecturally, Barre Circle is a cohesive collection of intact, brick rowhouses, highly consistent and uniform within each block and extremely modest in scale and decoration, two characteristics which further strengthen the unity of the area and set off architecturally from other Baltimore, Maryland neighborhoods. [ MAP ]
- Harbor Lane-Eden Street Historic District — When the early Bar Harbor families realized that they could benefit from attracting summer visitors their first efforts went into erecting large hotels, but by the 1870s it became clear that a secondary opportunity lay in selling land and or buildings to the visitors. In the early years of cottage construction, when the visitors leaned more towards art and were willing to trade 'roughing it' for an authentic and visually stunning outdoor experience, the builders of the cottages were often men who had learned architecture through practice rather than through formal study. [Bar Harbor, Maine] [ MAP ]
- The Maplewood Historic District is an intact city neighborhood which retains original street plans, landscape features, and a concentration of residences representing residential development and expansion of the city to the northwest during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The District reflects its historic identity as one of Rochester's finer residential neighborhoods, significant for its retention of a high level of visual and architectural integrity. [Monroe County, NY] [ MAP ]
- Windsor Hills Historic District — In 1889 Edwin L. Tunis purchased some Windsor Hills properties with the intention of starting a residential development. He established the North Avenue and Windsor Park Land Companies as commercial bodies for his pursuit. Nearby Walbrook offered downtown trolley service, which by 1902 would be extended along Clifton Avenue into Windsor Hills. Thus the earliest residents of Windsor Hills were able to easily commute the 4-1/2 miles to downtown Baltimore, Maryland.
- Indian Hill Estates — Philip Maher laid out the 170-acre subdivision in 1926. It was conceived and partly funded by Henry W. Drucker, son of a real estate attorney. The plan featured winding roads, a departure from Wilmette's rigid grid system, with lots platted to be one to two acres. [Wilmette Village, IL] [Map]
- The Arcadia-Beverly Hills Historic District evolved from a suburban development created by R. Stanley Carswell on 41 acres in 1914. Along streetscapes in the district, it is not unusual to see many building types within the same block. Foursquares stand next to bungalows, ornamental concrete block houses next to frame or brick houses, and larger 2‑1/2 story houses next to the small low lying 1‑1/2 story houses.
[Baltimore, MD] [Map]
- The Bolton Hill Historic District is a residential neighborhood of relatively untouched structures dating from the second half of the 19th century. The Neighborhood's distinguishing feature is the 3‑story red brick rowhouses with 8 to 15 dwellings in single architectural groups. White marble steps, the rhythmically placed fenestration and doorways, and the wooden cornices frame and accent the otherwise plain facades. [Baltimore, MD]
- The South Main Street Historic District is a well-preserved fragment of Washington, the leading village in the town of Coventry, Rhode Island. The District's appearance is that of a western Rhode Island village which developed over the course of the late eighteenth, nineteenth, and early twentieth centuries.
- The Baltimore East/South Clifton Park Historic District typifies the broad patterns of the urban history of the City of Baltimore, particularly the history of the working class, from ca. 1850 through the mid-20th century. During that time, the area became increasingly incorporated into the city's urban fabric as development filled up city boundaries established in 1816.
- The Licking Riverside District consists of substantial residences with a few institutional buildings whose scale essentially respects that of their residential environs. There are large mansions, double and rowhouses, apartment buildings, and the appropriate coachhouses and garages. [Covington, Kentucky]
- The Oakenshawe Historic District is distinctive among the early 20th century subdivisions of north Baltimore, Maryland for its consistent architectural character. While a significant number of buildings survive to reflect the area's history through the first decade of the 20th century, the majority of houses reflect its development as a rowhouse neighborhood which began around World War I.
- The Church Street East Historic District contains the primary governmental, educational, religious, commercial and residential buildings which have provided a focus for the activities of the city from the nineteenth century to the present day. Residential construction in the district is diverse and representative of many building periods and styles. [Mobile, AL]
- The Benton Avenue Historic District contains a fine and dense concentration of variations of the Bungalow style house. In fact, this district has more examples of the style than any other area of the city. This pre-World War II housing development has a far different appearance than any other historic neighborhood in Janesville, Wisconsin.
- The Roland Park Historic District was named for Roland Thornberry, an English landowner in Baltimore County. The development was begun in 1890 when William Edmunds decided to develop 100 acres and invited Edward H. Bouton, a developer from Kansas City, Missouri, to come to Baltimore. The Lands Trust Company of England invested a large sum of money in the bold scheme and The Roland Park Company was incorporated, with Bouton as its general manager. Landscape architect George E. Kessler was engaged to "lay out gracefully curved streets, paths and large lots." [Baltimore, MD]
- The Old Dauphin Way Historic District is diverse in the representation of architectural styles, while the majority of the buildings built in the district between 1830 and World War II are related by elements of building form that transcend the strictly stylistic. Between 1830 and World War II, the Old Dauphin Way developed as a solidly middle-class residential neighborhood. [Mobile, Alabama]
- The Glenwood Historic District evolved from a single, country estate established outside the city limits of Clarksville in 1857 into a multi-residence automobile suburb laid out in 1924 and developed over the next twenty years. The District includes a substantial Park site, integral to the original design of the subdivision as a suburb with open, landscaped spaces and a typical "country" atmosphere. [Montgomery County, TN]
- The Dog Hill Architectural District, built circa 1870-1900 on one of Clarksville's seven hills, is a significant example of the types of residential architecture built by the working middle class in early urban neighborhoods. Much of the building on Dog Hill represents the influence of architect G. B. Wilson. [Montgomery County, TN]
- The City of Danville was laid out as a 63-lot settlement in 1784 and incorporated in 1787. It was designated the seat of government when Boyle County was created in 1841. Since 2000 the city has been recognized by various organizations and publications for its Main Street program and its retirement affordability. [Kentucky]
- The South Central Aberdeen Historic District is overwhelmingly residential in character and is comprised of significant buildings dating from 1848 to 1937. These houses illustrate the architectural styles that were popular during Aberdeen's two greatest periods of prosperity the late 1840's to 1850's and ca. 1880 to ca. 1930. [Aberdeen, Monroe County, MS]
- The William J. Dodd Residence has Arts and Crafts details overlaying a Foursquare plan. Prominent Louisville, KY architect William J. Dodd purchased a lot in St. James Court on which he built the house of his own design in 1910. It served as the personal residence for Dodd and his wife, Ione Estes, from 1911 to 1913.
- Butchertown Historic District — one of the distinctive aspects of this neighborhood is that ambitious houses are intermingled with more modest wooden ones, often of the "shotgun" type, not to mention small shops and various industrial plants; there is little consistency of scale or use, or apparent economic level. This very heterogeneity gives the area as a whole a paradoxically consistent character different from, say, Old Louisville where each street has its own scale and economic level, or Germantown to the south with its preference for "shotguns" or "hunchbacks" as they are called by older residents of the area. [Louisville, Kentucky]