Photo: Home in the Honesdale Residential Historic District, Honesdale, PA. The Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. Photographed by User:Vonsky87 (own work), 2013, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed January, 2016.
The Honesdale Residential Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [‡].
Honesdale's Residential Historic District is an intact neighborhood of elaborate, architecturally varied homes, including large merchants and managers' houses and smaller houses of the working people of Honesdale. The North district is nestled in a valley on the convergent flood plains of the Lackawaxen River to the south and the Dyberry Creek to the east. It includes 289 contributing buildings constructed during the period of 1830 to 1940. Large homes are the main focus of the district and represent Queen Anne, Shingle, Italianate, Colonial Revival, Second Empire, Greek Revival and Folk Victorian styles. These grand homes are predominately 2-1/2 story, wood frame construction with gabled and hipped roofs of slate, tin, and asbestos tile. The district also contains more modest residences spread east and west from North Main Street, a few industrial buildings at the southern edge of the district, Riverside Park between Lackawaxen River and Park Street on the southern boundary of the district, and four adjoining cemeteries across Dyberry Creek at the northern end of the district. The historic district retains integrity. Its 41 noncontributing buildings are broadly dispersed in the district and alterations to contributing buildings are minimal.
The Honesdale Residential District includes 289 contributing buildings, mostly homes, but also including former factories and a former Armory, constructed during the period of 1830 to 1940. A variety of architectural styles from Antebellum Greek Revival style to early twentieth century Craftsman and Colonial Revival styles are found in the contributing homes of the district. The non-residential buildings are all located in the southern section of the district and reflect the industry that sparked development of the district. A brick glass factory sits beside a Romanesque Revival style Armory, while less than two blocks away stands a brick Italianate shoe factory, complete with complementary brick managers' homes and brick row houses for the workers. The brick Italianate row houses were built around 1880. One has six units and the other with two units exist in pristine condition, unmarred by the passage of time. Both properties were probably constructed by the same craftsman, as the detail is virtually duplicated. They have flat roofs, hooded arched windows, wide, flat entablature pierced at each residential section by brackets that serve to divide and ornament, rather than support the entablature. The "shoe factory" at Fourteenth and East Streets, a three-story brick building with arched windows and cornice brackets that provide a semblance of Italianate, was built in 1891 to replace a two-story wooden factory that burned. Another industrial building is a simple Romanesque brick building, forty by two hundred foot "glass factory" located at 100 Park Street, with plywood covered windows, which suffices for a current furniture storage facility. This is the only Richardsonian Romanesque building within the district; it possesses the characteristic arched windows, masonry walls, rough-faced square stonework. It still displays the name "Irving Cut Glass Co., Inc.," a firm that flourished in the early 1900s.
Large homes are the main focus of the district and represent Queen Anne, Shingle, Italianate, Colonial Revival, Second Empire, Greek Revival, and Folk Victorian. The homes are surrounded by spacious lawns, running north and south along both sides of North Main Street, on a rectilinear pattern of sequentially numbered blocks, heavily laden with mature trees. More modest residences spread east and west from North Main Street. The grade rises perceptibly to the west, necessitating numerous stone retaining walls and allowing high embanked basement stories in many locations. Homes are also found along the southern border overlooking the Lackawaxen River. These grand homes are predominately two and one-half story, wood frame construction with gabled and hipped roofs of slate, tin, and asbestos tile. Some of the homes on adjacent, parallel streets (East and West Streets) originally serviced the homes along North Main Street as the stables and out buildings, which over the years, have become distinct homes in and of themselves.
Queen Anne style homes represent 35% of the total building stock. The 1896 William Gaylord House at 1604 North Main Street is representative of Queen Anne architecture in the district and features an asymmetrical facade, cross gabled roof, gable detailing, bay windows, and commodious wrap-around porch with dual entrances, one of which has a forty five degree gabled entrance. Quite similar structures include those of the John D. Weston House at 1422 North Main Street, Sarah Miller house at 1415 North Main Street, 1307, 1521, 1600 North Main Street, 1301, 1403, 1416 East Street, and 1226 Dyberry Place. Less ornate Queen Anne, yet vernacular, examples can be found at 1300, 1530 West Street, 1226, 1418, 1603, 1607 East Street, 1230 Dyberry Place, 714 High Street, and 1500 Wood Avenue.
Eight percent of the homes in the district are Italianate. The 1865 John Brown House, located at 211 Park Street along the southern edge of the district, represents Victorian Italianate brick houses with low pitched hip roof, large square cupola, decorative cornice brackets, and tall, narrow-hooded arched windows. An almost identical home, probably built around 1855, is located at 313 Park Street. An 1885 Italianate brick, six unit row house sits across the street from a three-story brick Italianate shoe factory. The row house is a two-story, flat roofed building, with bracketed cornice and hooded full arch windows grouped on the first floor, and single units on the second story. An identical two-unit building, apparently built at the same time, stands at 409 Fifteenth Street. The 1872 Charles F. Rockwell House at 1416 Main Street is representative of Late Victorian Italianate styling, with elaborate cornice carvings over the entry stairs. This two-story building has a center gable, which is repeated on the full-width porch. The exterior clapboard and the original tin roof have been well-maintained. Similar examples, both of which have greater decorative detail, especially bracketed cornices, exist at 1239 and 1511 North Main Street.
Two unique examples of eclectic Italianate architecture exist that incorporate steep gables, normally associated with Queen Anne, but have typical Italianate detail on the lower two stories, and less conventional detail on the uppermost story. The 1876 William Weiss House at 211 Park Street has pedimented, curved windows and bracketed square windows in addition to bracketed cornice windows in its front and side two-story; three window bays, all adorned with incised and raised detailing, while the gable windows are pedimented, Gothic style. The 1873 Mattie Holmes House, located at 1238 North Main Street, is constructed of brick, except for the side five-window bay constructed of wood, which is rectangular and rises two stories. The steep gables are adorned with vergeboard and attached adornment to form an arch, which solidifies the Italianate motif. The lower two stories have hooded, segmental arch windows, while the gable windows are hooded, full arch. The commodious porch has a center gable with elaborate detailing.
There is only one example of Second Empire architecture in the district, the 1869 William Foster House at 1406 North Main Street. It is a brick building which has a slate mansard roof with centered gable on three sides, cornices above and below the roof slope, dormer windows, eaves with decorative brackets below, paired hooded windows, paired doors, with etched glass and single-story bay windows. The building presently serves as the Wayne County Public Library.
Twenty three Shingle style homes, 9%of the total homes discussed, are located within the district. The 1912 Edward Katz House at 1701 North Main Street, represents twentieth century Shingle style with an asymmetrical facade, irregular, steeply pitched roof with cross-gable, multi-paned windows in tops and single panes below polygonal dormers with uninterrupted shingle siding. Additional examples of the Shingle style with recessed windows, wavy wall surfaces, multiple window strips on top story towers and eyebrow dormers can be found at 1423, 1704 West Street, and 513 Fifteenth Street.
Greek Revival homes, comprising 10% of the total, dotted the early years of construction. An early example of that style is located at 309 Park Street. This small, two-story frame is a principal sub-type with front gable, recessed light doorway, with front columns and three part enframement, which is repeated on all windows, and a half-moon window in the gable. The roof cornice is decorated with a simple Greek Key design. Similar, but slightly less embellished houses exist, as well as very basic ones, with little or no detail, which are clustered near the area of earliest development. A more enchanting example of early Greek Revival, probably one of the earliest homes still existing, is located at 317 Park Street. A variation of the center gable style, this low-pitch, hipped roof house has front gable porches on the first and second floor (possibly later additions) shifted to one side. The several triple-ganged Ionic porch columns support the full width front-facing porch.
West and east of Main Street are more modest residences, many which represent the Craftsman style home. There are twenty homes, representing 9% of the total building stock. The Craftsman style originated in California in the early 1900s and was often referred to as the "ultimate bungalow." It quickly became the most popular and fashionable smaller home in the country. Two local builders working independently, Bryant and Kreitner, were responsible for building many of the Craftsman style homes within the district. The buildings are characterized by low-pitched gabled roofs with wide, unenclosed eave overhanging. Half of the homes have full width porches with typical tapered square columns, while the other half has partial width porches, occasionally with columns that do not have a break until the level of the porch floor. Most of the homes are side-gabled, such as the home at 201 Park Street, which also has front and rear dormers. It is also one of the few homes of this style which is stuccoed. Many of the porches were built of stone or brick. Nearly all of the roofs were asphalt, but a combination of weatherboard, shingles, or clapboard was used for the siding. It is not uncommon to see a combination of materials, like the home at 702 High Street, which used weatherboard and shingles. The homes at 322 Fifteenth Street and 304 Sixteenth Street are the only examples of hipped roofs, and it is interesting that they were the first homes of this style built in the district. Most of the homes were constructed between 1920 and 1925. Only the home at 1316 Westside Avenue has decorative beams, which were characteristic of this building style.
The Colonial Revival style, with accentuated front doors with fanlights and sidelights, symmetrically balanced windows with double-hung sashes, and second story overhangs are well represented on North Main Street. Most of the homes were built between 1905 and 1925, but two homes were built around 1935. There are twenty seven homes of this style in the district, representing 12% of the homes. The roofs vary on this style of architecture. Examples of hipped roofs with dormers can be found at 1516 West Street and 1508 West Street. Gables vary, as well as the design of the porches. Many have full porches, but half porches are also represented. An attractive semi-circled porch with sidelights can be found at 1702 West Street. The home of Grace Bently at 1771 North Main Street is a Dutch Colonial with a characteristic portico, with a fanlight over the door and sidelights, and a second story overhang. Porticos were common and often had a sunburst pattern on the front gable. Windows were rectangular and had double hung sashes. Many had multiple panes on the top, hung over a single pane. Gambrel roofs are also a variation of this style and can be found at 321 Fifteenth Street. One house which is so unique as to deserve mention is the Joseph D. West House, known for many years as the "Mud House." Built in 1849, it was originally a one-story brick building. The bricks were made of clay from the Dyberry Creek and measured eleven inches long, five inches wide, and two inches thick. They were laid in two parallel rows with space in between, and every third or fourth course a two inch plank was placed to tie in the two walls. A flood in 1936 loosened the clapboards and revealed the muddy bricks, hence the name. The bricks were sun dried, rather than kiln dried, and were reinforced with corn cobs and straw. The roof was lifted in 1851 by a whirlwind and deposited near Irving Cliff and little is known about its replacement. Robert Smith, Sr. bought the property in 1899 and added the second level, giving it its Colonial Revival appearance.
The District also contains 41 non-contributing buildings. These buildings do not detract from the over-all integrity of the District as they comprise only 14% of the total buildings and are broadly dispersed throughout the District. Where additions and alterations have occurred, they have been limited to the rear of the buildings and generally have been required to meet modern codes. Overall, the District has been maintained to a high standard of integrity and exteriors remain largely unchallenged.
In addition to contributing and noncontributing buildings, the district contains five contributing sites consisting of four cemeteries (Riverside Cemetery was originally separate and therefore is counted separately from Glen Dyberry) and a park.
The Glenn Dyberry Cemetery lies between the banks of the placid, tree embowered Dyberry Creek on the west and the rugged wooded hills on the east, marked by a stone wall, built in 1859; this wall is a small scale element not included in the resource count. The northern boundary extends to Fair Avenue, while the southern boundary reaches to Watts Hill Road. The cemetery is plotted with a central avenue, reaching from the northern to southern boundaries, with three miles of winding roads that branch off of the main road. Several evergreen trees and rhododendron plants and ferns add to the peaceful setting. Expansion of the cemeteries in the mid to late 19th century, saw the establishment of the Beth Israel Cemetery on the eastern border of the Glen Dyberry and St. John's Lutheran Cemetery on the northern border of the Glen Dyberry.
In the cemeteries, several plots are surrounded by the original iron fences, some quite elaborate, while low marble rails enclose others. In the early days, white marble shafts seem to predominate as monuments. Some have flowers carved out of the marble, a full three inches thick, while others are more plain, but rise 35 feet above the base. One plot of the 1870s has a bench beneath the trees where one can view the thirty foot shaft with a bust of the departed's daughter carved in Italy at a cost of $1,000.00. A grave of a child has a carved tiny lamb reposing on the stone marker. Another plot has a chair-like structure containing a carved angel-like figure. A local artist was the designer who had it carved from Florentine marble. Later, plain granite monuments predominated, two of which are outstanding. One is a seven foot cube of New England granite, weighing 24 tons. Nearby, is a monument of Barre, Vermont granite, which is eight feet high, five and one half feet wide, and over three feet thick. It is most remarkable that cemeteries of three different faiths are so closely associated, that they are practically indistinguishable from each other, probably a reflection of the close community ties that held little regard for discrimination. The monuments are small scale elements not included in the resource count.
Riverside Park, which stretches from Main Street to Dyberry Place, is a beautiful, well-maintained expanse of riverfront park, a fitting boundary to the architecture that abounds to the North. In 1929 a small monument was erected to commemorate the centennial of the running of the Stourbridge Lion, the first steam engine to run on rails in the North American Continent. At the same time, two concrete snubbing posts from the D & H Canal were placed in the park. Both monuments still exist today and are small scale elements not included in the resource count.
The Honesdale Residential Historic District is a significant concentration of architecture built during the period of 1830 to 1947, eligible under criterion C of the National Register. It includes several neighborhoods of merchants', managers', and workers' homes. The earliest extant homes on Park Street were built around 1830. The district derives its significance from its 19th and early 20th century Queen Anne, Italianate, and Shingle style residences. These homes reflect the development and growth of a major residential area within Wayne County. Because Honesdale became the county seat in 1841, it precipitated residential development of the kind and density unsurpassed elsewhere within Wayne County. The business area to the south of the district has some similar architecture but its concentration has been fragmented by new development and different uses. Only the town of Hawley, twelve miles to the east, has similar architectural resources, but residences there are more widely scattered.
For some years after 1804, owner Jason Torrey, a surveyor who had developed the original county seat in Bethany, was unable to sell or develop the land that would become Honesdale, until the locality was selected as the terminus of a canal to be built to Roundout on the Hudson River, "at which time he plotted the northern portion of the village and placed his lots on the market." The Delaware and Hudson Canal, begun in 1828, was the first million dollar enterprise in the United States and it served until 1898. The canal was the result of the discovery of coal in neighboring Lackawanna County and the need to transport this valuable resource to markets in the cities. The first president of the company was Philip Hone, mayor of New York City, whose name was given to the new village that was developing rapidly at the canal terminus.
In a letter to his sister, author Washington Irving proclaimed in 1841, "I write from among the mountains in the upper part of Pennsylvania, from a pretty village which has recently sprung into existence as the depot of a great coal region, and which is called after our friend Philip Hone, who was extremely efficient in directing enterprise into this quarter."
Attempts to transport coal across the mountain range between Lackawanna and Wayne counties included importing steam locomotives from Stourbridge, England. One of these, which had on its boiler a portrait of a lion, was given its trial run in Honesdale on August 8, 1829, thus being the first steam locomotive to operate in the Western Hemisphere. Although it was too heavy for the tracks constructed for this purpose, and was abandoned in favor of a gravity railroad system, this, "Stourbridge Lion" gave Honesdale the title of the Birthplace of the American Railroad.
The Gravity Railroad was developed instead as a profitable system of transporting coal to the canal. The Canal generated a tremendous labor demand; the gravity rail cars had to be filled in Carbondale and unloaded twenty miles away onto the barges in Honesdale. The Gravity Railroad became useful for passenger service and developed into the Delaware and Hudson Railroad, which eventually took over the coal transportation as the canal era came to an end. The only remaining vestige of the Canal and Railroad development is the Canal Office Building which serves as the Wayne County Historical Society Library and Museum. It is located south of the proposed Historic District. All waterways, locks, tracks, coal pockets, etc. are gone from the center of Honesdale.
The canal was in its most profitable years in the third quarter of the nineteenth century, resulting in the surge of all types of prosperous ventures, leading to the incredible building frenzy that occurred during those years. Many industries came to Honesdale. A major one was cut glass, originally centered in White Mills, a short distance south of Honesdale. This was established by Christian J. Dorflinger, who moved his shops from Brooklyn. He originally came to Wayne County because of his health, arriving in 1862. His business thrived, and in 1903 employed seven hundred persons. It survived until 1921 when lower labor costs abroad gradually caused the business to decline. His expertise brought many others to the area and his employees had a way of establishing their own glass shops. At one time there were over thirty glass businesses in the Honesdale area. One of these glass factories still stands within the district and is currently being used as a warehouse. It still displays in its brickwork the name of "Irving Cut Glass Co. Inc." Two of the six original glass-makers that established Irving Cut Glass, Eugene Coleman and John Gogard, have been identified as original purchasers of homes within the district. Michael J. Kelly of Kelly & Steinman, as well as T. B. Clark. T.B. Clark's shop became known as the "University" because he trained so many glass cutters.
The vestige of another early industry, the Honesdales Shoe Company, remains at Thirteenth and East Streets. This is a brick Italianate building which replaced a wooden factory that burned in 1891. Italianate row houses were built around the same time for the workers or managers. One has six units and the other has two units.
The first house to be built in the new settlement of Dyberry Forks was built in 1826 as a boarding house for canal workers, on land within the district vaguely described as about 100 feet west of the Dyberry and North of the Lackawaxen. The building no longer exists. Two distinct settlements developed: one on canal company land known as the "lower town" and located south of the Lackawaxen in what is now the lower half of downtown Honesdale, and the "upper town" north of the Lackawaxen in the proposed historic district on the lands of Jason Torrey. By 1833 there were twenty houses in the "upper town." Probably the earliest existent homes were built between 1830 and 1845 and are clustered on Park Street east of Main Street.
Between the Lackawaxen River and Park Street on the southern boundary of the district is Riverside Park. The land was donated by the Torrey family to the Borough of Honesdale around the 1870s for a park. In the 1800s, the park contained many maple trees and several benches where one could view the magnificent water fountain which had been placed in the center of the river. In addition to fishing, the river was also used for ice skating in the winter. This became the focal point of gathering and recreation for the community.
In the early days of Honesdale, burials took place next to the churches. The existing cemeteries were quite small, and the people of Honesdale felt there should be a larger burial ground available. The business men decided to apply for a charter to incorporate the Honesdale Cemetery Company. In 1859, eighteen acres of land were deeded from John Torrey to the corporation, to create the Glen Dyberry Cemetery. The first sale of lots was November of 1859. Bodies were moved from the existing church burial grounds to the new cemetery. One of the original cemeteries was located in the district near the site of the Tabernacle, located in the district near the confluence of the Lackawaxen River and Dyberry Creek. The Tabernacle is gone and the remains from the cemetery were moved to a new cemetery, Beth Israel Cemetery, on donated land contiguous to the Glen Dyberry Cemetery. On August 28, 1922, Riverside Cemetery, just north of Glen Dyberry Cemetery was purchased, adding to the existing Glen Dyberry Cemetery. As might be expected, Greek Revival homes dotted the early years of construction. It is likely that most Greek Revivals were built for original canal workers and small entrepreneurs. As the community grew, the managers and bankers wanted larger homes and the Italianate style, such as the homes at 211 and 305 Park Street were built. The Victorian houses began to appear, an early example being 217 Park Street. Queen Anne homes were widely scattered throughout the district. These styles, along with the Second Empire, reflected the gilded age of growth and prosperity, as industry and transportation flourished in Honesdale.
As the building of stately homes sufficient to meet the needs of the affluent began to slow down and space became scarce, modest homes were built on smaller lots in the late 1800s and early 1900s in the hill area on the west side of the district. In some ways, many of these more modest homes mimic the stylish mansions and commodious homes built earlier, on a considerably smaller scale, with much less adornment. Others were influenced by the late nineteenth century and twentieth century styles, particularly Colonial Revival and Craftsman. The areas to the west of Westside Avenue had scattered development in the early 1900s with major concentration occurring from about 1920 to 1945. The majority of these homes followed a national pattern of those years and included, in order of predominance, Craftsman, Shingle, Folk National, and National. A dozen or more of the Modern Movement, including Ranch and Cape Cod rounded out the end development in the district, largely precipitated by the lack of available space.
An unusual aspect of development within the district is the mingling of the spacious and highly decorative homes with ones of much less grandeur, but still somewhat embellished. This occurred largely as a result of the scarcity of flat land adjacent to the center of town and the abundance of managers and supervisors who were not so far removed from the social status of the elite. The demand for suitable land, along with the desire of the owners of mansions to reduce the size of their properties, which in some cases had been converted to multiple dwellings, led to the sale of much of the land to the rear of the North Main Street properties. This freed up major portions of West and East Streets for development in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. In some cases, the carriage houses for the North Main Street mansions were located on the back streets and were converted to homes.
Different designers and builders were at work in developing the district. The builders and suppliers of brick for many of the brick buildings in Honesdale that were built from the late 1840s was Elias T. Beers, a Honesdale builder since 1837, and Daniel B. Tillou. They purchased the "Captain Hole" brick yard near Bethany and made the bricks used in Honesdale from 1846 to 1865. Beers was in business with William Reed and Benjamin Wood, also builders, and owned a planing mill at Industrial Point, located just southwest of the confluence of the Dyberry Creek and Lackawaxen River. An 1874 newspaper advertisement touted white and yellow pine flooring, siding, ceiling cornice, brackets, newel posts, balusters, railings, and all kinds of job turning by their company, which likely supplied the majority of building material for Honesdale at that time. The transfer of Beers's interest from brick to wood supply seems to have influenced his preference of building materials. He is known to have been the builder, with Reed and Wood, of stately wooden homes. One is located directly across the Lackawaxen River from Industrial Point at 207 Park Street. It is also about this time that a new builder had a great influence on the styles during a period that could be considered a building boom, from about 1870 to 1920. William H. Kreitner and brother Frederick Kreitner commenced their building activity in Honesdale with the construction of their first house in about 1885, and ended with their last house built in 1925. In the interim, they built over fifty houses in the district and over one hundred and fifty in all of Honesdale.
A treasure of information was made known in 1995 by William Kreitner's daughter, Grace Kreitner Bentley. Grace, who was born in 1899, has lived in only two houses, both in the district and both built by her father. She personally toured the streets pointing out all the homes built by the Kreitner brothers and remembered the names of most of the original owners. The latitude in styles can be attributed to the fact that the Kreitners bought building lots, and during slack times built houses they considered marketable, to keep the workers employed.
Between 1860-1870, the typical Italianate style dwelling in Honesdale began to transform from a square, fairly simple type to a more complex, highly embellished one. The variation expressed by the McAlesters as "High Victorian Italianate" is exhibited by two impressive examples in the district. The Mattie Holmes House and the William Weiss House share many characteristics, such as steep corner gable roofs, hooded and pedimented arched windows, and two-story bay windows with bracketed cornices. Yet, they are quite dissimilar, since the first is brick and retains its impressive gable vergeboard which forms an arch. The second is balloon-frame construction and although its vergeboard was removed after 1900, it retains decorative incised and raised detailing above and below its windows. Benjamin Wood and Elias Beers built the frame house in 1876, and it is likely that Beers was involved in the construction of the brick house in 1873. Mr William Weiss, a merchant in Honesdale since 1857 and founder of the Beth Israel Synagogue, had the house built for $6500 of which $3000 was attributed to the cost of the lot.
Notable homes and their first owners or builders include the William Howell Foster Mansion at 1406 North Main Street, which is now the Wayne County Public Library and is under restoration by the County. This is mentioned above as the home of glass entrepreneur, T . B . Clark. Foster was the son of Honesdale's first merchant. He operated the family farm and tannery so successfully that he was able to ignore mounting construction costs, estimated at over $30,000. This house is the only example of Victorian Second Empire in the district.
In 1888, Edward O. Hamlin, an early Wayne County Judge built the house at 1422 North Main Street which was subsequently purchased by Sigmund Katz, whose father established an underwear company that flourished until the 1980s. William A. Gaylord, after serving in the Civil War, built a Queen Anne style home at 1604 North Main Street. He was Secretary of the Honesdale Board of Health and one of the three original owners of the Honesdale Shoe Company, a building that remains unchanged.
The Honesdale Residential Historic District is dominated by 19th century buildings reflecting the period of greatest significance for the community. After World War II the Honesdale area experienced a loss of the industrial base and a consequent general depopulation. To meet the economic challenge, many of the larger homes were subdivided internally. The development history of the Honesdale Residential Historic District would not be complete without the knowledge that less than a half dozen of the buildings in the district have been built in the past 50 years. It is unusual to have such a large percentage of buildings, mainly of frame construction, built between 1830 and 1940, remain basically intact. Where changes have been made, it has been to convert to multiple dwelling use or expanded single dwelling use, to conform to modern codes, and to change exterior materials for less maintenance. Although some of the exterior embellishments have been modified or removed to allow for the installation of modern materials, only around 10% have been modified to such a degree as to consider them non-contributing.
Goodrich, Phineas. The History of Wayne County. Haines & Beardsley, Honesdale, Pa., 1880.
Haines, Benj. F. Illustrated Wayne County Editions 1900-1902. Benj. F. Haines (publisher), Philadelphia, Pa.,1950.
Jengo, Donald. Interview with Grace Kreitner Bentley, 12/2/1995.
LeRoy, Edwin D. The Delaware and Hudson Canal. The Wayne County Historical Society, Honesdale, Pa., 1950.
Mathews, Alfred. History of Wayne, Pike, and Monroe County, Pennsylvania. R . T. Peck & Co., Philadelphia, Pa., 1886.
McAlester, Virginia and Lee. A Field Guide to American Houses. Alfred A. Knoph, New York, 1984
Stocker, R .M. History of the First Presbyterian Church of Honesdale. Herald Press Assoc., Honesdale, Pa. , 1906
Talaga, Sally. Self Guided Walking Tour of North Main Street. Wayne County Historic Society, Honesdale, Pa., 1992.
Beers, F .W . Atlas of Wayne County, Pennsylvania. A. Pomeroy & Co.,New York, 1872.
Hopkins, Jr. , G. M. Map of the Borough of Honesdale. M. S. & E. Converse, Philadelphia, Pa. 1865.
Nunan, P. Map of the Borough of Honesdale and its Vicinity. P. Nunan, Surveyor, 1851.
Sanborn Insurance Co . Honesdale and Wayne County, Pennsylvania. Sanborn Map Co., New York, 1929.
‡ Jengo, Donald; Devereaux, Charles & Fran, Honesdale Residential Historic District, nomination document, 1997, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington D.C.
13th Street • 14th Street • 15th Street • 16th Street • 17th Street • 18th Street • Dyberry Avenue • East Street • High Street • Hillside Avenue • Main Street • Overlook Avenue • Route 191 • West Street • Westside Avenue