Borough municipal offices are located at 235 East Airy Street, Norristown PA 19401; phone: 610-272-8080.
Home on West Wood Street compliments of
Zach Behr | Keller Williams Real Estate-Conshohocken
215-664-1008 (direct) | 610-828-2224 (broker)
Public school students attend the Norristown Area School District.
The first Montgomery County Courthouse was built and in use by 1791. It was rebuilt on a much grander scale in 1854, and, subsequently, enlarged.
As the borough grew, various attempts to charter it as a city were vigorously opposed. In the early 20th century the Boro was apt to proclaim itself as the "biggest, busiest, and brightest Borough in the world."
What's in a Name?
In November of 1689, William Penn ordered Captain Thomas Holme (his surveyor general) to lay out a tract of ground on the canoeable part of the Schuylkill River. In 1704 Penn gave the land to his son, William, as a gift. Five days later William sold the 7,482 acre property to Isaac Norris and William Trent for 850 pounds. Trent sold his share to Norris in 1712, moving to New Jersey and founding what became the NJ State Capitol - Trenton.
William had named the area "Williamstadt" (William's Town). Other early names given to the site included "Norriton" and "Norritingham," derived from Isaac Norris and his descendants.
The borough contains two National Register Historic Districts: West Norristown and Central Norristown; also on the National Register are the David Rittenhouse Junior High School (Locust Street) and the General Thomas J Stewart Memorial Armory (Harding Boulevard).