Clemmons Village Hall is located at 3715 Clemmons Road, Clemmons, NC 27012.
Clemmons was founded in 1802 by a family man named Peter Clemmons, who moved his wife and 14 children to the area from Delaware. Mr. Clemmons opened a store that became more than just a retail hub, but the heart of the local community. Old deeds found in county archives referred to him as "Peter Clemmons, merchant of Clemmonsville."
The efforts of that family show the importance of transportation to area residents. Just west of his home, Mr. Clemmons built the first bridge across the Yadkin River. Later, his great-grandson Edwin T. Clemmons, intrigued by the stagecoaches running through the area, began a business in the field. In 1870, the census lists Edwin Clemmons as an area stage and mail contractor. He owned and operated a series of stage lines based in Salem that ran to points such as Clemmons, High Point, Raleigh, Asheville and Wytheville, VA.
Edwin eventually moved his stagecoach business to Asheville after rail became more prominent in the 1870's, but his business success helped him leave a legacy to the community, providing money in his will for the construction of a Clemmons Moravian Church and a school. Those institutions as well as the historic store are the foundation of the stagecoach stop that became the Village of Clemmons. Incorporated as a municipality in 1986, Clemmons now is a thriving community encompassing about twelve square miles with a population of 18,000.
Nearby Towns: Advance • Bermuda Run Town • Clarksville Town • Lewisville Town •