The George Boardman Clark House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [‡]
The George Boardman Clark House (Kellerman House), 6 South Fountain Street, Cape Girardeau, Cape Girardeau County, Missouri, is a two-story brick house, constructed on a sandstone foundation. It has a basic "Tee" shaped floor plan (oriented with the base to the north and the cross arms on the south) with a rectangular stair hall added in the northeast corner of the "T" and a rear service wing which projects to the east from the cross arm of the "T." The roof features intersecting gable roofs, with gray composition shingles over the base and west part of the cross arm, but incorporates a flat roofed hip section over the stair hall and east end of the cross arm. The service wing has a gable roof but its eaves are below the main cornice. The property includes the 1882 main house with additions and the ca.1890 carriage barn which has been altered. The George Boardman Clark House is considered contributing while the carriage barn/studio is non-contributing.
The George Boardman Clark House sits high above the street with the main facade facing west. The yard is terraced on all sides with sandstone steps to the north, Independence Street; and to the west, Fountain Street, where there is a stone retaining wall and brick piers and iron gates at the driveway entrance.
The original carriage barn is located to the southeast of the main house, behind a new one-and-one-half story frame garage and studio constructed in 1991. The original carriage barn sits at the edge of a terrace so that there is a walk-out basement at the east, with entrance to the main level above from the west. It was altered into a flat roofed garage by 1923 with the removal of the gable roof. A new gable roof was added as part of the building of the garage in 1991 and the carriage barn now serves as a guest cottage, it has recently had extensive brick restoration.
The main house is constructed on a sandstone foundation with crawl space while there is a basement under the service wing only. The foundation features cut stone, rectangular vents, and a beveled water table molding of sandstone. The brick walls are 3 bricks thick, of relatively soft brick laid up in common bond. The lintels are formed by single rowlock brick segmental arches while the sills are sandstone. The entire house is painted white.
The windows are two-over-two, double-hung sash in wood frames with parting stops and weights and pulleys. The arched portion of the window frames have incised Eastlake type molding on the principal (west) facade, but are plain on the other walls. The main decorative element of the George Boardman Clark House is the bracketed cornice with built-in gutters and cornice returns at the gable ends of the main house and elaborate decorative curved trusses in the gables. An oculus window is centered in each gable of the main house. The bed molding at the cornice features Eastlake type incised molding. Two decorative corbelled brick chimneys remain in place in the long wing but one has been removed from the north wing, the base of the "T." The rear service wing has a simple box cornice with cornice returns and Philadelphia type gutters in the roof.
The main facade features a 3-bay north wing with the entrance door in the southern bay, with a 2-bay gable wing to the south. The south facade is a 4-bay configuration and the recessed rear wing was originally 3 bays but the brick wall of the eastern two-thirds and the east gable was removed and a sleeping porch created there by 1930. The sleeping porch was enclosed with four windows on the north and south walls, and 6 windows in the east wall. The east gable is now of frame construction.
The original porch extended across the north wing in the recess with the south wing. A similar porch was located along the north wall of the service wing. Both have been removed. Around 1909, the one-story front porch was replaced with a two-story porch that extended across the entire west facade of the building and one section past the north end of the house, following the projection of the south wing. It features a simple entablature with bed and crown molding carried on rectangular classical posts with capital and base made from moldings. It also has rectangular balusters with molded top rail on the second floor. The projecting bay was removed from the north end by 1950.
The floor plan features a long hallway in the center with a single room off to the north and a pair of rooms to the south on each floor. The service wing apparently contained a kitchen and pantry on the first floor, and a bathroom and servants room on the second, with a back stairs located along the north wall which provided access to the basement and to the second floor. The back stairs were removed in the 1930 remodeling. The original two rooms of the south wing were combined into a single room at the same time by the removal of the interior wall and pocket doors, and the east fireplace was closed up and the south fireplace had an Adamesque mantle added, and deep crown molding was added to the ceiling. The entrance to the north room, originally a library, was through pocket doors, which have been left inside the wall, hidden by added molding, but the opening is intact.
The basic second floor plan remains intact with rooms directly over the original first floor arrangement. A bathroom was added at the front of the hall, over the entrance door, at the time of the 1909 remodeling. This bathroom was created by walling off the west end of the front hall. It is accessed from either front bedroom but not the hall. The original hall window was altered by raising the sill and conversion to a round-top casement window. The pedestal sink was installed under this reworked window. A new door into the south front bedroom was added in place of part of the bedroom closet. The north window of the north bedroom and the south window of the south bedroom in the west wall were changed to doors to permit access to the new second floor porch. The 1930 sleeping porch room has been converted into a master bath, and the rear bathroom, with tile floor intact is now a closet. The downstairs bath which was added in the former pantry, remains with tile floor and 1909 fixtures intact.
As part of the referenced 1930 remodeling, the kitchen in the service wing was turned into a den and a new kitchen was added off the back of the stair well, in 1982, this was removed and a new one-story gabled roof pantry and kitchen was constructed off the east end of the house, extending beyond the original service wing. This addition was designed to blend with the original building. Similar windows were used to the street side, brick work and cornice trim were detailed to compliment the original and done so as to require no alteration of the original house. A 1950 era porch was replaced on the south side with a family room that is also of brick with modern windows that appear to be an enclosed porch space. As part of this, a carport was added across the east end of the rear wing to the new kitchen addition. The remaining two windows in the east wall of the original kitchen which had been replaced with glass block were restored.
The main stairs are located in an alcove off of the main hall. It features a walnut handrail with turned balusters, more typical of an 1870 Italianate styled home. They ascend to the north, turn to the west and up and then again turn to the south as they connect with the second floor hall. The newel post on the main floor is an elaborate Eastlake type with insets of glazed tile, while the posts of the landing and upper hall are rectangular walnut posts. The portion under the steps in the main hall features molded panels and part of an arch. The balance of this area was altered when the 1930 kitchen was added, and a door was cut through under the landing into the new kitchen. This door has now been closed up. It appears that one of the drops from the landing newel posts was cut off to allow for passage under the landing. It also appears that the main newel post was a later addition, replacing a simpler walnut octagonal one similar to that at the Glenn House (National Register 1979).
Most of the trim of the house remains in place and in good condition. Plaster walls are in good condition, except for the original kitchen which has been paneled. All flooring in place in 1972 when the Kellermans took residency have been retained.
Under the ownership of the Kellermans, the property has been carefully rehabilitated and improved. In 1982, they added a new kitchen wing off the north and east side of the George Boardman Clark House and replaced a shed roof porch with a family room addition. All additions were designed to respect the original house. Painted brick wall construction and proportion of elements blend the additions when viewed from the north or the south without attempting to replicate original detailing. The only view which has been compromised is the east view, a view not readily seen by the public from the street.
The addition of the porch in 1909 was also designed to have minimal impact on original fabric of the building. The use of a relatively flat roof permitted retaining all of the decorative elements of the cornice and trim which can still be readily seen from Fountain and Independence Streets.
The original carriage barn has been extensively altered over the last 70 years. As indicated on the 1923 Sanborn Map, the barn had been converted into a flat roofed garage. The original stable area, on the east-facing lower floor was converted into a small apartment, probably as part of the remodeling in the 1930's. The building remained so until the 1991 project which added the two-story frame garage/studio to the west front of the remaining brick section of the carriage barn and built a new gable roof over the original walls. The apartment will be retained and rehabilitated sometime in the future.
The carriage barn/studio building is considered as noncontributing element because of the addition and alteration. However, the addition and new gable roof were designed to be easily identified as modern construction while the original brick walls of the carriage barn have been restored and retain appearance of the older building.
The George Boardman Clark House, 6 South Fountain Street, Cape Girardeau, Cape Girardeau County, is locally significant in the area of architecture as an excellent example of a restrained Queen Anne house designed by Edwin Branch Deane, an early Cape Girardeau architect. The design for his buildings dating from 1839 up to his 1882 design for the George Boardman Clark House remained traditional in style and plan. The George Boardman Clark House was built two years before the David Glenn House and marks the evolution of design by Deane to the more irregular floor plan and massing of the Queen Anne style while retaining the traditional and restrained detailing of earlier center hall plans. The Clark House, constructed for George Boardman Clark in 1882, contained a separate stair alcove off of the front hall and utilized the irregular plan and massing of the Queen Anne style and the manufactured trim available locally. In addition, like the Glenn House, a major remodeling occurred as Cape Girardeau entered its second major building phase after the turn of the century. Classical details were used on the added two-story porch at this time. The remodeling of the house in the period between 1909 and 1937 updated the utility systems and added the two-story porch at the front with only minor alteration to the original fabric of the Deane design. Subsequent remodeling and additions were designed and constructed to have minimal physical and visual impact on the original fabric of the house.
Edwin Branch Deane, 1813-1901
Edwin Branch Deane was born in Virginia in 1813 and located later in Louisville, Kentucky. He came to Cape Girardeau in the late 1830's. He married in Cape Girardeau and reared 6 children. He purchased the lot east of the site of the George Boardman Clark House at tax auction in 1846 and deeded part of that lot to his youngest daughter, Lula Deane Glenn as a wedding gift in 1882. He designed their home which was built on Spanish Street in 1884, two years after the George Boardman Clark House. Edwin Branch Deane died in 1901.
Deane was one of three early Cape Girardeau craftsmen designated as architects. Joseph Lansom, a stone mason, is credited with institutional and commercial projects such as the St. Vincent's College and the original State Normal School buildings. Nicholas Conner is credited with the 1868 Turner's Hall.
His first major project was the stone two-story Federal/Greek Revival Ellis Walthen-Ranney House in 1839 (now demolished). Another early house reportedly designed by Deane was built in 1846 at 444 Washington Street in Cape Girardeau, a gable-front Greek Revival house known as the Sherwood-Minton House. His 1857 James Reynolds House, a one-story brick Greek Revival house is extant and listed in the National Register of Historic Places (1983). His plan for the 1859 Burrough House, at 2121 Bloomfield Road retained the traditional form and floor plan. His plan for the George Boardman Clark House marked a departure away from that traditional form and floor plan toward the irregular massing and arrangement of rooms in the main block, but retained a more traditional rear service wing. His George Boardman Clark House also made use of the mass-produced decorative elements available locally. The George Boardman Clark House apparently marked the beginning of Deane's acceptance and use of the popular styles which marked his later career. His design for the home of his son-in-law, David A. Glenn House in 1884 included a very Victorian main block but retained a more traditional stairwell and a rear wing with two-story rear service wing and porch.
Deane's portfolio included primarily residences. Two of his homes are currently listed in the National Register and are owned by the Greater Cape Girardeau Historical Society who operate them as house museums. The Glenn House has been restored and furnished while the Reynolds house awaits restoration. The George Boardman Clark House, identified as an "A" category building in the 1983 initial survey of Cape Girardeau, is the only identified Deane building which remains in continuous use as a single family residence.
The George Boardman Clark House is significant in architecture in that it is an excellent example of a restrained Queen Anne house designed by Edwin Branch Deane. The George Boardman Clark House was built two years before the David Glenn House and marks the evolution of design by E.B. Deane to the more irregular floor plan and massing of the Queen Anne style, while retaining the more traditional and restrained detailing of earlier center hall plans. He designed a "U" shaped main stair alcove off the north end of the main hall, in addition, like the Glenn House, a major remodeling occurred as Cape Girardeau entered its second major building phase after the turn of the century. Classical details were used on the added two-story porch at this time.
While no extant plans have been found, a comparison of the George Boardman Clark House and Glenn House show similarity in basic floor plans, detailing and construction techniques. Both have rear service wings with the only basement under them, and with perimeter foundations over crawl space for the main house. Interior walls are supported on beams carried on brick and stone piers, rather than full interior foundation walls. Both have awkwardly detailed roof systems created by the cross gables and the lower service wing heights. Detailing of foundations with water table molding and use of stone sills are similar.
In addition, there are social, business, and physical connections between the Glenns, Clarks and Deanes. The Deanes owned the property immediately south of the Clark House and it was deeded to the Deane's daughter as a wedding gift when she married David Glenn. David Glenn and George Clark were instrumental in the founding of the Cape Girardeau Building and Loan Association and served as officers on the Board of Directors. Both Glenn and Clark were active in the Presbyterian Church.
Evolution of the Building
George Boardman Clark, who came to Cape Girardeau in 1878, was elected State Auditor in 1872 and served until 1874. In 1875, he and Oscar Kochtitsky acquired the Blankton Plank Road Charter and constructed the Maiden and New Madrid Narrow Gauge Railroad. In 1877, Clark laid out the town of Maiden in Dunklin County. In 1878, Clark published the newspaper Courier in Cape Girardeau. In 1882, he became the first Vice President of the Cape Girardeau Building and Loan Association. He had the house at 6 South Fountain Street built in 1882 and sold it in 1891.
In 1895, William T. Wilson acquired the house. Wilson was in business with a partner as Peironnet and Wilson Mercantile Company. In 1909, William H. Miller, a lawyer, acquired the property. Mr. Miller was an attorney for the Cotton Belt Railroad; Southern Illinois and Missouri Bridge Company; a director of the Street Railroad Company in Cape Girardeau; President of the Southeast Missouri Trust Company; and a Director of the Sturdivant Bank. He also served as President of the Cape Girardeau County Savings Bank in Jackson. Mr. Miller added the two-story front porch to the George Boardman Clark House and installed electricity, three bathrooms and a hot water heating system.
After his death in 1914, the George Boardman Clark House was rented by E.J. Deal, who took Mr. Miller's position as president of the Cape Girardeau Savings and Loan Association. Miller's widow sold the house in 1919 to John F. Vogelsanger who was one of the founders of the Cape Girardeau Telephone Company. In 1924, it was owned by H.H. Halleck, who had oil interests in Texas. They used the house as a second home as they traveled extensively.
The property was acquired in 1928 by Stanley D. McFarland who was an executive with the International Shoe Company. Many of the later interior remodeling changes occurred during their ownership. They spent winters in their home in Pasadena, California. The McFarlands removed the wall between the two south first floor rooms and reworked the rear service wing and added the new kitchen. It was during this period that the new school was built across the street to the west of the house on the site of the 1873 Lorimier School. The area to the west of the house was lowered and Fountain Street was vacated as part of the new construction. A portion of Fountain Street was deeded to the McFarlands who had to extend the front steps and driveway in 1937. The property changed hands five times between 1942 and 1971 and had seen several redecoratings and poor maintenance prior to its acquisition in 1971 by the Kellermans.
"Cape Girardeau Telephone Directory, 1909." Cape Girardeau: C.G. Daily Republican Printers.
Casteel, Major D. B., compiler. City Directory for Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Cape Girardeau: Naeter Brothers, 1906.
Douglas, Robert Sidney. History of Southeast Missouri. (1912) Cape Girardeau: Ramfre Press.
Gaines, Henry W. "South Spanish Street," unpublished manuscript 1969. Files of River Heritage Museum, Cape Girardeau.
Gerhardt, Dr. Thomas H. "David A. Glenn, merchant, banker, promoter of Cape Girardeau" Heritage Review, (October 1980) pp.16, 17.
Griffith, Paul. "Brick Making." Heritage Review, Volume 2, Number 1 (October, 1970) pp.15, 17, 18. Published by the Historical Association of Greater Cape Girardeau.
Easley, Larry. "Early Architects." Heritage Review, (October 1980) p.6. Published by the Historical Association of Greater Cape Girardeau. p.21 1888.
History of Colonial Federal Savings," Heritage Review, (October 1980).
History of Southeast Missouri. Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Company.
Kimmel, Amy Husbands. "Historic Homes in Cape Girardeau." Southeast Missourian, February 22, 23, 24 and 25, 1933.
Longstreth, Richard. The Buildings of Main Street. Washington, D.C.: The Preservation Press, 1987.
Mattingly, Dr. Arthur H.. "Cape Girardeau utilities." Heritage Review, (October 1980) pp.12, 13.
Snider, Felix Eugene and Earl Augustus Collins. Cape Girardeau Biography of a City. Cape Girardeau: Ramfre Press, 1956.
Steele, Patrick H., Sr. "Klostermann Block/Alliance Building, Historic Preservation Certification Application." Kellerman files, 1992.
Tenth Anniversary, Cape Girardeau Republican 1904-1914. Cape Girardeau: Naeter Brothers, 1915.
Unknown, Analysis of Kellerman Home. Unpublished student paper, SEMO, 1980. Copy in Kellerman files.
Abstract, Part Lot 5, Range B in Cape Girardeau; Kellerman files.
Abstract: Lot 12 and Part Lots 9 and 11, part of Fountain Street, all in Range B in Cape Girardeau; Kellerman files.
Federal Census Records: 1850, 1860, 1870. State Archives.
State Census Records: 1876. State Archives.
Capitol Fire Papers: F393c, 15445, 16527, 16530; George B. Clark. State Archives.
Sanborn insurance Maps of Cape Girardeau: 1884, 1893, 1900, 1908, 1915 and 1931. Ellis Library, U of M, Columbia, Missouri.
‡ Patrick H. Steele, Sr., Crossroads Preservation, George Boardman Clark House, Cape Girardeau County, MO, nomination document, 1994, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Fountain Street South