Mansfield Town Hall is located at 4 South Eagleville Road, Storrs Mansfield CT 06268.
Set off from Windham in 1703 and named for Major Moses Mansfield of New Haven, one of the largest landowners. Originally known as Ponde-place, Mansfield was first settled about 1692.
Mansfield is home to the University of Connecticut, which evolved from the Storrs Agricultural School which was established in 1881. It is recognized as one of the top public research universities in the country.
Dr. Nathaniel Aspinwall introduced silk culture to Connecticut about 1755; the first silk mill in the country was opened in his native town, and Mansfield was at one time the center of the industry. Colonel Benjamin Hanks cast church bells, the business succeeded by the Meneely bell foundry. In 1838 Joseph M. Merrow built the first knitting mill and began the manufacture of knitting machinery.
Nearby Towns: Ashford Town • Columbia Town • Willington Town • Windham Town •