Eugene G. Groves, Architect [1882-1967]
Born in Dana, Indiana, Eugene G. Groves [†] won a scholarship to Harvard. Poor health brought him to Denver in 1914. He maintained an active practice for five decades and was responsible for the design of numerous educational and municipal facilities throughout Colorado. Groves exhibited his design talent through a variety of architectural styles. For example, his 1927, Moderne style, Canon City Municipal Building and his 1922, Italian Renaissance Revival, Ammons Hall, located on the Colorado State University campus in Fort Collins, are listed in the National Register. His 1929, Colonial Revival, Lowell School, located in Grand Junction, is a contributing building within a National Register District. In Golden, he designed the 1924 Golden High School building and the 1936 Art Deco style Mitchell Elementary school. Groves developed a long term association with Colorado State University where he was responsible for the design of numerous buildings and additions from the 1920s through 1950.
† Elizabeth Rada Carver, Nordlund House, Denver County, CO, nomination document, 1997, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.