American Fork City Hall is located at 51 East Main Street, American Fork, UT 84003.
American Fork, like most of Utah, was settled by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon or LDS Church). Prior to its colonization in 1850, American Fork was the scene of various seasonal Ute Indian camps, located on the banks of the American Fork Creek which meandered through the foothills and grasslands to Utah Lake. Mormon travelers camped by the creek enroute to-and-from Provo (13 miles to the south, the first settlement in Utah Valley established in 1849). First settled and surveyed as a large cattle ranch with the blessing of Mormon Church leader Brigham Young, American Fork (known first as Lake City) rapidly took in more Mormon farmers and ranchers. Located first on flatter lands southwest of the present site, settlers were instructed in 1853 by church leaders in Salt Lake City to build and move into a thirty-six acre fort further up the creek intended to protect the settlement from Indian attack. Although the fortress-village was established, its protective wall was never completed.
PDF Brochure: 45-minute Walking Tour of Historical Downtown American Fork
Nearby Towns: Alpine City • Cedar Hills City • Highland City • Lehi City • Lindon City • Orem City • Pleasant Grove City •