The Murray Downtown Residential Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [‡] [‡]
The Murray Downtown Residential Historic District is located in the center of the city of Murray in Salt Lake County, Utah, 8 miles south of Salt Lake City, Utah. It is roughly in the middle of the Salt Lake Valley with the Wasatch Mountains to the east and the Oquirrh Mountains to the west. The current city population is 42,000. The Murray Downtown Residential Historic District is located a block to the east of the historic commercial area along State Street in Murray, south of 4800 South (Murray Holladay Road), west and south of the Mick Riley Golf Course and to the north and east of the Murray City Park complex. Vine Street on the south and 4800 South on the north serve as collector streets while the interior streets serve local residential traffic. The streets are not set in a rectilinear grid pattern, as is characteristic of many Utah towns, but meet at oblique angles so that the irregular block shapes are quadrilateral or trapezoidal, not the usual squares and rectangles.
The majority of buildings in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District were built as single-family homes and in most cases retain their original function. The area is densely settled with dwellings of relatively uniform size and massing with established landscaped lots, lawns and gardens. Mature trees line many of the streets and the houses maintain similar setbacks. The lots along Center Street, Wasatch Street, Vine Street and 4800 South are small and contain many Victorian cottages and early twentieth century bungalows. Atwood Boulevard and the streets leading from it have lots that are twice as large as those on Wasatch Street and contain many houses from the later period, 1930-54. The streets branching east and west from Atwood Boulevard, Clark Street, Crawford Avenue and Elm Street, are not through streets and do not connect with the adjacent north-south streets. All of the streets have poured concrete curbs, gutters and sidewalks with the exception of Glenn Street and Purcell Court on the east. The few public buildings are located on the collector streets on the north and south with the exception of the Catholic church and rectory on Wasatch Street.
There are 267 primary buildings and 119 outbuildings in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District. The majority of the buildings in the historic district, 185 (or 70 percent), and their 106 outbuildings contribute to the historic character of the district. The outbuildings are almost universally detached frame or brick garages from the historic period. Out-of-period and altered structures appear throughout the area but they are for the most part compatible in materials and scale with the historic buildings. There are no buildings in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Architectural Styles and Types by Period
There are two major periods of construction evident in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District: the "Industrialization Era, 1870-1929" and the "Depression, World War II and Its Aftermath: 1930-1954." Each period has distinctive architectural styles evident and the streetscapes show the combination of architectural styles and types in the district.
Industrialization Era (1870-1929)
The majority of buildings in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District (57%) date from the "Industrialization Era: 1870-1929." Styles of houses from the era range from Classical/vernacular to Victorian Eclectic and Period Revival styles. The influence of classical styles and forms with simple gabled rectangular forms and symmetrically placed openings can be seen in some of the early houses such as the vernacular Classical-style house found at 231 East Vine Street. Houses from the earlier periods are frequently updated with the latest styles, losing their historic integrity with the changes in cladding, window openings and rooflines. A nearby example of an updated structure is the stucco-clad house at 237 East Vine Street.
Asymmetrical facades, irregular massing, segmental arched window openings and patterned wooden shingles on the gable ends characterize Victorian Eclectic styles. These styles were popular in Utah from 1885 to 1910 and 35 of the buildings in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District are Victorian Eclectic. The simple rectangular brick single story duplex at 4914-8 South Center Street has a flat roof, simple patterns in the brickwork and segmental arched window openings. Another brick Victorian Eclectic duplex is the one-and-a-half-story gambrel-roofed example at 5002 Jones Court. It also has the characteristic segmental arched window heads, transom windows on the first floor and decorative brick courses. A one-and-a-half-story single-family central block with projecting bay type house at 289 East Vine Street has decorative brickwork, segmental arches and a raised drip edge over the windows, and a hipped entrance porch with decorative spindlework.
The four nonresidential buildings in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District, three churches and a library, were all constructed during the Industrialization Era. The LDS Murray First Ward Meetinghouse on 184 East Vine Street was built in 1907 also in the Victorian Eclectic style. It combines towers with crenellated parapets and pointed arched windows with echoing hoodmolds above them. It was enlarged in 1928 by square flat-roofed additions with crenellated parapets at both east and west sides of the initial building. The St. Vincent de Paul's Catholic Church, built in 1927 at 4900 South Wasatch Street, is a simple rectangular basilica form of red striated brick with faux buttresses capped with cast concrete. Its rectory is a c.1927 brick bungalow set across the street. The Arts and Crafts style church at 171 East 4800 South was built c.1915 by the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Murray Carnegie Library at 160 East Vine Street was built in 1915-6. The building has been expanded and modified with a changed entrance and mansard roof so that it is no longer a contributing resource in the district.
Bungalows were the most popular house form in Utah in the first quarter of the twentieth century. These years were an era of growth for the historic district and reflected the overall Utah styling trends. Forty-one of the houses in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District are bungalows with simple rectangular footprints. The c.1910 brick bungalow at 195 East 4800 South was built in the Arts and Crafts style with a full-width front porch and prominent knee brackets in the front-facing gable end. Nearby at 4942 South Wasatch Avenue is a brick vernacular Prairie School style bungalow c.1913 with the characteristic low-pitched hipped-roof, wide eaves and full-width front porch under the main roofline. One side of the open porch has been glazed to provide more interior living space.
Period revival cottages are a commonly occurring house type in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District with 35 examples of period revival styles. Period revival styles were popular in Utah in the 1920s and 1930s for domestic architecture, primarily one or one-and-a-half-story residences on city lots. They were frequently constructed of brick masonry with irregular, picturesque massing, steep front-facing cross gables and asymmetric facades. In the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District they are most often in the English cottage or English Tudor styles. The English Tudor period revival cottage at 4933 South Center Street has prominent faux half-timbering in the projecting front and side gable ends. Its gable end overhang, small-paned windows, and the use of a round arch over the front entry are typical of the style. Another example at 244 East 4800 South has gable end overhang in both the front and side gable ends as well as faux half-timbering in the stucco around the entrance door and a prominent chimney on the facade. The simpler English Cottage style in brick is seen at 4845 South Wasatch Avenue with two cross gables, a semi-hexagonal one-story bay and a round-arched doorway.
Depression, World War II and Its Aftermath: 1930-1954
With few exceptions, the houses from this era are one or one-and-a half-story single-family residences in a range of styles from Colonial Revival to modern, and minimal traditional styles. The forms or types of the dwellings range from late period cottages to World War II cottages. A brick late period revival residential court in the English cottage style is found at 206 East 4800 South.
Colonial Revival styling was popular in Utah from 1890 to 1940 and is found in several of the larger houses in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District. A gabled one-and-a-half-story frame example with a front-facing dormer and garage underneath is seen at 4847 South Atwood Boulevard. The imposing two-story hip-roofed red brick house at 325 East Clark Street has a colonnaded semi-circular entrance portico. Both have the ubiquitous shutters, characteristic of the style.
Few modern styles — those without historic references and with the characteristic flat roofs and unadorned smooth wall surfaces — are found in Utah. The 1937-38 Art Moderne/International style house at 4851 South Atwood Boulevard is the only modern style house from this era found in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District. It has smooth stuccoed wall surfaces, windows set flush with the exterior walls, and shallow coping at the flat roofline, as well as a slightly rounded glass-block wall.
The World War II and early post war years of the 1940s and 1950s saw the construction of WWII-era cottages and early Ranch houses in Murray. There are 63 houses in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District from the World War II and post-war years. WWII-era cottages are relatively small with almost square plans, close eaves, and medium-pitched gable roofs. Garages are usually a separate building set to the rear of the lot. Minimal traditional styling is loosely based on the earlier period revival Tudor style with its front-facing cross gable and simpler styling elements. It also has elements of the simplicity of earlier Classical styling as well as some Colonial Revival touches such as decorative shutters. The style was popular in Utah from the late 1930s to the 1950s and is the dominant style in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District, seen on 52 of the houses. A side-gabled minimal traditional style house has its entrance door in a small cross-gabled entry flanked by large window openings with smaller lights and metal sashes. It was built in 1935 and is found at 4850 South Wasatch Street. The side-gabled brick example across the street at 4855 South Wasatch Street has a simple rectangular footprint with the broad side to the street and a chimney on the side. Early Ranch houses have low-pitched roofs and are often side-gabled with a front-facing gable. They have rectangular footprints with the broad side to the street and may or may not have an attached garage. They are transitional between the WWII-era cottage and the later Ranch house.
Non-contributing and out-of-period buildings appear scattered throughout the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District. There are 45 substantially altered historic era buildings and 37 that have been built since the 1950s, or out-of-period. Some of the out-of-period examples are the Mansard-roofed apartment complex at 200 Maple Street and the two-story front gabled multi-family residence at 349 E. Vine Street.
The Murray Downtown Residential Historic District also contains historic buildings that have been altered and those from outside of the historic period but the historic contributing buildings dominate the streetscape. The majority of the buildings retain their integrity and contribute to the historic association and feeling of the area.
The Murray Downtown Residential Historic District is significant as part of the National Register Multiple Property Nomination Historic Resources of Murray City, 1850-1950. The buildings are significant for their association with the "Early Agricultural and Residential Buildings of Murray, 1850-1910;" the "Americanization of Murray's Residential Architecture, 1902-1950;" and the "Religious and Social Buildings of Murray, 1850-1950." The buildings are significant because they are the best depiction of the historical development of the historic central downtown residential section of Murray, and contain a high concentration of historical resources. State Street was the business center of Murray from the 1880s until the 1950s and many of the retail merchants, professionals and business people lived within the district boundaries, just blocks from their places of business on State Street. The variety of architectural styles in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District represent most of the historical eras of Murray and the majority of the buildings serve as good examples of their intended style. The district area is the most historically intact residential section of Murray. The buildings are concentrated in a compact area with little infill and maintain a cohesive historic streetscape. The Murray Downtown Residential Historic District is a contributing historic resource to the City of Murray.
History and Development of Murray
Settlement Period (1849-1869)
Soon after settlers from the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon) came into the Salt Lake valley in 1847, families began to settle to the south around the streams. The area now incorporated as the City of Murray was part of the land to the south of Salt Lake City known as South Cottonwood. Unlike the Salt Lake City example to the north, development in Murray was not based on the Plat for the City of Zion plan (with settlement in a grid pattern around a town square). Early settlement was distributed with families living on their agricultural lands on the sides of Big and Little Cottonwood Creeks. Farming was self-sufficient, primarily raising grain to support the family and the livestock. The Atwood family historic brickyard, located to the south of Vine Street, where the ballpark in the Murray City Park is currently found, most likely provided the bricks for many of the early public buildings and residences in the historic district. Early architecture from this period would have been simple vernacular Classical examples. However, no structures from this era are known to exist in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District.
Industrialization Era (1870-1929)
The California Volunteer troops brought to Utah by Colonel Patrick E. Connor in 1862 were the first to publicize the mineral resources of the canyons to the east in the Wasatch Mountains and to the west in the Oquirrh Mountains. With railway access to national markets and physically close to the mineral rich canyons, Murray was in an ideal geographic position to process the ore brought from the canyons. The Transcontinental Railway was completed in 1869 and the spur of the Utah Southern Railway connected Murray to Salt Lake City in January of 1870. Murray's era as an industrial center followed once the railways were in place.
The first silver bars to be smelted in Utah were produced in Murray in smelters several blocks to the north, south and west of the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District. The Woodhull Brothers opened the first Murray smelter for silver in 1870 at what is now 4200 South State Street. Six smelters were completed in Murray between 1872 and 1899. The Germania Smelter began operations at Main Street and 5300 South in 1872 and was purchased in 1899 by the American Smelting and Refining Company (ASARCO). Its characteristic twin smoke stacks were built in c.1902 and 1918 and later modified.
Although the smelters were not located within the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District, their effect was felt in the district. The smelters changed the character of the previously rural Murray area by giving wealth to the people who sold their land to the smelters, bringing in foreign laborers to work in the plants and drawing people to the city to set up businesses to serve the laborers. Workers, primarily single men from Greece, Sweden and Eastern Europe came, forming the pluralistic society that was Murray at the turn of the century. The 1900 census showed that 49 percent of the eligible workers in Murray were employed in local smelters and 25.7 percent in agriculture.
The smelting industry dominated the economy of Murray but little housing for smelter workers is found in the historic district area. Most of the smelter workers lived to the west of State Street in small single-family homes built by the smelters outside of the historic district but some smelter employees did live within the district. A duplex at 5002 Jones Court was built in 1905 for the housing needs of smelter employees. Tradition has it that the owner had to get special permission from the commission to construct the multi-family duplex. Hans J. and Elmeada Pierson moved their house from 4800 South and State Street to its location at 338 E. 4800 South. Hans Pierson was an employee of the Midvale Smelter and walked to work every day. One of the few documented smelter houses in the district was built as a company home by the Hyland Boy smelter in 1898 and taken apart, moved, and rebuilt on a lot at 4906 South Wasatch Street c.1905 by the fire chief of Murray, Sam Whittle.
"The professional men would have their homes right in the center of this city, usually close to their businesses." The residents of the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District in this era were retail merchants, small businessmen, civic leaders, service workers, and professionals who lived with their families close to their businesses or offices on State or Vine Streets. An early commercial center grew up at the intersection of State and Vine Streets, the major north-south and east-west thoroughfares surrounding the historic district. A few residents had their businesses located at their houses. Donald O. Wilson was a broom maker at 4911 Center Street and Katie Wilson was a nurse at 4873 Wasatch Street.
Thomas Martin opened his eponymic general merchandise store on State Street in 1914, close to his residence at 187 E. 4800 South. Directly east at 183 East 4800 South lived Chester P. Cahoon and his family of the Salt Lake Pressed Brick Company. The Brinton family, owners of Brinton Electric Company, a dealer in retail electrical appliances from 1922, lived at 433 East Vine Street. Nearby Ernest and Eugenia M. Madsen, proprietors of the family store Madsen Hardware and Furniture, lived on 401 East Vine Street. Charles Caldwell, Jr., built a house for his family at 5000 Glenn Street, and opened "The Palace Market" at 4800 South and State Street. Heber B. Smith was Secretary of the Miller-Cahoon Implement Company before he opened Smith's Hardware on the southwest corner of 4800 South and State Street. He lived with his wife, Fern Smith, at the house he built in 1912 at 195 East 4800 South.
Medical professionals and educators also chose this area to live and raise their families. Dr. Herond Nishan Sheranian lived at 259 East 4800 South from 1922-1933, just blocks from his Murray Hospital Clinic founded in 1927. He emigrated with his family as a child from Turkey in 1902 and worked briefly in a Murray smelter to help with medical school expenses. A chiropractor, Dr. G.H. Pace, lived nearby at 389 East 4800 South. Elmo E. Boggess was a school principal and lived with his wife, Mary Ann, at 271 East 4800 South. The superintendent of schools for Murray from 1912-1928, Carl E. Gaufm emigrated with his family from Sweden as a child and graduated from the University of Utah in 1896. He was known for establishing the first high school in Murray and lived with his wife, Rhoda, at 218 East Vine Street. After his death his widow housed schoolteachers who were living there to meet the residence requirement for Murray teachers. The locally renowned musician Morris Cannegeiter who directed the Olympus Male Choir lived at 398 East Vine Street.
Politicians, including two mayors and a judge built houses in the district. Charles Brown was mayor of Murray from 1906-09 and lived at 215 East 4800 South. He operated the Buster Brown store and later the Palace Meat Market. George Huscher was the first Socialist mayor of Murray from 1912-1915 and lived with his wife, Elizabeth, across the street at 264 East 4800 South. Judge David W. Moffat built the brick Foursquare in 1908 at 288 East Vine Street. He was an attorney and later judge for the Utah Supreme Court. His wife, Sarah Howe Moffat, helped to establish the Murray library and served on the Murray Board of Education.
Three churches remain from this era in the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District, and in all cases the original congregation has changed. The first church built, the LDS Murray First Ward Meetinghouse, is evidence of the LDS population found at that time in Murray. It was built in 1907 at 184 East Vine Street. It was heavily used and enlarged in 1928. It has been occupied since the 1970s by the Mount Vernon Academy, a non-denominational school for pre-kindergarten to Grade 12 children. The other two churches were built by other religious groups, showing Murray's early relatively cosmopolitan nature due to the diverse population drawn to employment in the smelters. They are both still used for worship. The St. Vincent de Paul's Catholic Church was built in 1927 at 4900 Wasatch Street and is now owned by the Maronite Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of St. Maron. The Methodist Episcopal Church at 171 E. 4800 South was built c.1915 and is now a Metaphysical church, the Teaching of the Inner Christ.
Following incorporation as a city in 1902 with a population of 5,000, more civic improvements were made to the city of Murray. A library was established in a room in city hall in 1908, utilities were extended, and the South Cottonwood Ward Cemetery was purchased in 1918 by the city. Automobile traffic found State Street paved by the 1920s. The noncontributing Murray Carnegie Library at 160 East Vine Street was built in 1915-6. It is one of 11 extant Carnegie libraries built in Utah with partial contributions from Andrew Carnegie. The building is currently being used as a library for the school located in the adjacent Murray First Ward buildings.
Depression, World War II and its Aftermath (1930-1954)
From 1890 to 1931 Murray was an active industrial center with half of its workers employed in the smelting industry. The stock market crash of 1929 was reflected in the mineral markets as many of the mines that supplied ore to the Murray plants closed. The Great Depression began to affect Murray as the American Smelting and Refining Company (ASARCO) smelter temporarily closed for seven months in 1931. It later resumed production but at a much lower level with need for fewer employees before shutting down totally in 1950. Utah was particularly hard hit by the depression economy and federal relief monies were funneled into the state in the 1930s. Murray used federal relief funds to improve buildings in the Murray City Park on the southern border of the Murray Downtown Residential Historic District, to make improvements to sidewalks and streets, as well as to accomplish various other civic projects. The Murray City Park became the site of the Salt Lake County Fair beginning in 1938. The population of Murray in 1940 was 5,740, only slightly higher than the 1905 figure of 5,036.
Residential construction continued in the historic district in the 1930s and increased in the postwar years. The architect Lenord C. Neilson designed and built the brick English cottage style period cottage at 4933 Center Street c.1932. O.L. Byers and his wife, Evelyn M., built their Minimal Traditional side-gabled World War II era cottage at 4850 South Wasatch Street in 1936. O.L. Byers was a switchman for the Union Pacific Railroad in 1940.
Harry T. and Reba Bletzacker built their International Style house at 4851 Atwood Avenue c.1937. Harry Bletzacker was a prominent engineer, serving as municipal engineer for the cities of Midvale and Murray as well as for the Geneva Steel plant in Utah County. He designed the engineering of the municipal power plants of both St. George and Murray City. Briant Stringham, president of the Utah Woolen Mills and later owner of the Murray State Bank, built a house for his family at 325 East Clark Street in 1941. T. Ray Kingston was involved in health care, working at the Murray City Pharmacy in 1939, the year that he built the house at 4847 Atwood Avenue. He was later director of the hospital at the State Department of Health.
In addition to new construction, houses from earlier eras were remodeled and updated in the postwar period. The classically styled c.1870 double-cell house at 451 E. Vine Street was remodeled in 1945 by Joseph Delquatro. His parents, Raphiel and Carmella Delquatro, moved from Italy to Murray with their five children in 1921. They farmed and sold vegetables raised at the house at the Salt Lake Farmers Market. Orson and Rose Sanders, owners of Sanders Meat Market on State Street, lived at 389 East Vine Street in an 1889 house that they remodeled in 1949.
The wartime and postwar need for housing also led to remodeling single family houses to create apartment spaces. The 1908 two-story Foursquare (Box) at 4928 Wasatch Street was shared with officers needing housing from the Kearns Army Air Base during the war and in 1950 was converted into two apartments. An external closed stairway to the second floor was added to the c.1895 Victorian Eclectic cross-wing house at 205 East Vine Street during a conversion of the single-family house to apartments in 1951.
Retail and Residential Growth (1955-2004)
In the postwar years the city changed from its role as an industrial town to that of a small suburban city with added housing and growth. The population of Murray has more than quadrupled from its 1950 population of 9,050 to 16,802 in 1960, 34,021 by 2000, and 42,000 today. Much of this growth has taken place outside of the historic district by annexation of surrounding areas and development of agricultural land. The Murray Downtown Residential Historic District is also responding to the increasing population and residences are constructed in previously vacant lots as infill as well as on sites that were occupied by now demolished older single-family structures. Multifamily apartments and condominiums were constructed in this period to ease population pressures. All buildings constructed during this era are currently considered out-of-period and are not contributing to the history.
The Murray Downtown Residential Historic District is the best representative area of the residential settlement and development of the city of Murray, Utah. It is locally significant as a physical reflection of its residential architecture and the historic development of the city from its agricultural beginnings through its industrial era and current status as a small suburban city. The buildings within the district represent the wide range of architectural styles and plans popular in the city and the state of Utah between 1870 and 1954 and retain a high degree of integrity.
Much of the city's recent population growth has been via annexation of surrounding unincorporated areas. Over 8,000 people were added with a recent annexation. The official U.S. census population in 2000 was 34,021.
The Atwood Addition was platted in 1910 but not built out until later.
Statistical data for this nomination came from data compiled by the Utah SHPO from the Reconnaissance Level Survey conducted by the author in Murray in 2002. The historic district area is a subset of the total area surveyed.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or Mormon.
English cottage style typically uses brick wall cladding while English Tudor is characterized by multiple wall cladding materials and especially half-timbering in the gable ends.
Both were demolished in 2000.
G. Wesley Johnson and David Schirer. Between the Cottonwoods: Murray City in Transition (Salt Lake City and Provo, Utah: Timpanogas research Associated, 1992), 17.
Woodrow and 200 West or Myrtle and State Street.
Murray City and Murray Arts Board. Murray History Inventory. (Murray City, Utah: Murray City and Murray Arts Board Advisory Board, , unpaged.
Boyd and Beverly Killpack in Johnson and Schirer, Between the Cottonwoods, 52.
R.L. Folk's Utah State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1922-23,135-6.
Many of the smaller towns in Utah at this time were almost exclusively members of the LDS religion and had no other religious structures from any other faith.
Johnson and Schirer, p. 42.
Ibid., p. 41.
It has since been reconverted into a single family home.
1950 population figure from the Murray Public Library. 2000 U.S. Population Census figure from the Murray City Mayor's Office.
Broschinsky, Korral. "Historic Resources of Murray City, Utah, 1850-1950." National /Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form, 2000.
Carter, Thomas and Peter Goss. Utah's Historic Architecture, 1847-1940. Salt Lake City, UT: University of Utah Graduate School of Architecture and Utah State Historical Society, 1991.
Daughters of Utah Pioneers of Salt Lake County Company, comp. & pub. Tales of a Triumphant People; A History of Salt Lake County, Utah 1847-1900. 1995 Reprint. Salt Lake City: Stevens & Wallis Press, 1947.
Johnson, G. Wesley and David Schirer. Between the Cottonwoods: Murray City in Transition. Salt Lake City: Timpanogos Research Associates, 1992.
Lufkin, Beatrice. Standard Reconnaissance Level Survey of Murray, Utah, 2002. On file at the State Historic Preservation Office.
McAlester, Virginia and Lee. A Field Guide to American Houses. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1998.
Murray Bicentennial History Book Committee. The History of Murray City, Utah. Murray City Corporation. Salt Lake City: Stanway/Wheelwright Printing Co., 1976.
Murray Centennial Commission. A Murray City Centennial Album, 2003. Murray, UT: n.p., 2003.
Murray City. Faces of Murray: Commemoration of Murray's Centennial 1903-2003. Murray: Murray City, 2003.
Murray City and Murray Arts Board. Murray History Inventory. Murray City, Utah: Murray City and Murray Arts Board Advisory Board, .
Salt Lake County. Archives. Tax cards and historic photos.
Salt Lake County. Recorder's Office. Title Abstract Books.
Sanborn Map Company. Fire insurance maps of Murray, Utah. 1911, 1942.
Schirer, David. Historic Resources of Murray City, Utah, 1849-1941." Draft National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form, 1989.
Sillitoe, Linda. A History of Salt Lake County. Salt Lake City: Utah State Historical Society, Salt Lake County Commission, 1996.
Atwood Boulevard South • Center Street South • Clark Street East • Crawford Avenue • East 4800 South • Elm Street • Glenn Street • Jones Court • Maple Street • Purcell Court • Vine Street East • Wasatch Street South