Caernarvon Township administrative offices are located at 2139 Main Street, Narvon, PA 17555.
In 1729, Lancaster County was officially erected and Caer Township was formed as an original township of the county. Beartown, in tiie southwestem corner of Caernarvon Township, grew during the late 1700s and eaily 1800s along the Downingtown and Harrisburg Tumpike. Beartown was so named fortiie bear sign hanging on the hotel/tavem located east of the nominated properfy along the tumpike. The first settias of both Caernarvon Township and the Beartown area were immigrants from Wales who so named the township after Caernarvonshire, a county in northwest Wales. The Welsh were the predominate settlers in the area in the eighteenth century. These settiers were moving into the area from an earlier Welsh tract settiement in the Radnor and Merion area of Chester County, given by William Penn to the Welsh Quakers. The majority of those settlers moving to Lancaster County were Welsh Episcopalians. The early nineteenth century brought a greater influx of Swiss-German people homesteading in Caernarvon Township who eventually outnumbered the earlier Welsh settlers. [Nomination document, Ann Cunnibgham Evans House, National Registeer of Historic Places.]
Nearby Towns: Brecknock Twp • East Earl Twp • Honey Brook Boro • Honey Brook Twp • New Morgan Boro • Terre Hill Boro •