Tinicum Township municipal offices are located at 629 North Governor Printz Boulevard, Essington PA 19029; phone 610-521-3530.
It was on Tinicum Island that the first recorded settlement in Pennsylvania occurred — by the Swedish governor, John Prinz, in 1643.
For almost a century Tinicum was part of Ridley Township, but at the May court, 1780, a petition was signed by 23 "inhabitants, owners, and occupiers of the land on the island of Tinicum," praying that they be set off into a separate township. On August 31, 1780, their prayer was granted, and from that date Tinicum became a separate district, having all the rights and obligations of other townships.
Tinicum contained two villages, Essington and Corbindale, both located on the line of the Philadelphia & Reading railway that traversed the township. Connections were made here with both Chester and Philadelphia. The population in 1910 was 1,135.