East Whiteland Township
East Whiteland Township municipal offices are located at 209 Conestoga Road, Frazer PA 19355; phone: 610-648-0600.
Home on Conestoga Road compliments of
Gary Mercer | Keller Williams Greater West Chester
484-266-7440 (direct) | 610-436-6500 (broker)
East Whiteland, located in the middle of the Chester Valley in east-central Chester County, is about 25 miles west of central Philadelphia.
The most prominent physical features of the Township are the ranges of hills along its northern and southern boundaries and the broad, gently rolling valley floor. The valley includes a complex pattern of streams, including Valley Creek - designated as an exceptional value watershed - and Little Valley Creek, and closely-associated narrow bands of steeply sloping land and woodlands.
With about 11 square miles of land area, the Township measures slightly more than four miles in an east-west direction and about 2.8 miles from north to south.
The municipality is traversed by several important highways including U.S. Route 202, U.S. Route 30 (Lincoln Highway or Lancaster Pike), PA Route 29 (Morehall Road), PA Route 401 (Conestoga Road) and PA Route 352 (Sproul Road).
The historic Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad, now owned by Amtrak, passes through the southern part of the Township. Although Amtrak and the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) use these tracks for its R-5 regional rail service, no stations lie on this part of the line.
The first European settlers, who were Welsh, arrived in Whiteland Township about 1621. Founded in 1704, Whiteland Township was made up of what is today known as East and West Whiteland townships. The name Whiteland originates from Whiteland Gardens, Flintshire, Wales. Whiteland Township was divided into two townships in 1732. East Whiteland covers more than seven acres.
Native Americans called the area "The Dark Valley" because of the tree and undergrowth that once blanketed the land. During the American Revolution, Gen. George Washington and many of his troops camped at Malin Hall, Malin Road, in preparation for a Sept. 16, 1777 encounter with British Gen. William Howe. The Continental Army also camped near White Horse Inn on Swedesford Road. Because of inclement weather, however, "The Battle of the Clouds" was never fought.
Source: East Whiteland Township