Originally part of Rockport Township, Lakewood was organized in 1819, incorporated as a village in 1903, and incorporated as a city in 1911. [www.clevelandmemory.org, accessed April, 2012.]
The City of Lakewood [†] is a 5-1/2 square-mile, streetcar suburb just west of Cleveland. Its boundaries are Lake Erie to the north, West 117th St. to the east, Berea Road and Iinterstate-90 to the south, and the Rocky River to the west. Originally part of Rockport Township (established 1819) in the Connecticut Western Reserve the area now called Lakewood was first populated by Ottawa, Potawatomi, Chippewa, Wyandot, Munsee, Delaware and Shawnee tribes, all of which were pushed westward following the Treaty of Fort Industry on July 4, 1805.
† case.edu/ech/articles/l/lakewood, accessed September, 2021.
Nearby Towns: Fairview Park City • Parma City •