Photo: Servoss House, ca. 1830, Route 41 across from the Erie Canal, Medina (Town of Ridgeway), NY. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. Photographed by User:Daniel Case (own work), 2010, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed May, 2014.
Ridgeway Town Hall is located at 410 West Avenue, Medina, NY 14103.
Ridgeway derives its name from the Ridge which traverses it in an east-west direction. The town was erected from Batavia, Genesee County, in 1812. It originally included all the land within Orleans County that was part of the Holland Purchase. The first town meeting was held at the house of John G. Brown in April of 1813. Oliver Booth was chosen Supervisor and Israel Douglass as Town Clerk.
The first permanent settler in Ridgeway was Seymour Murdock, who was born in Dutchess County in 1764. His wife, Catherine Brick, was born in 1768 in the same county. Murdock first came to Ridgeway in the spring of 1810 and purchased from two brothers named Sampson. His family, consisting of 12 persons, came to Ridgeway by ox-drawn wagon.