Pompey Town Hall is located at 8354 U.S. Route 20, Manlius, NY 13104
Pompey was within the land of the Iroquois and later part of the former Central New York Military Tract, used to compensate soldier of the American Revolution. The town was first settled by outsiders around 1789. Although the Town of Pompey was formed in 1789, it was not completely organized until 1794, when Onondaga County was established. The original town was divided and sub-divided into many other towns in the region, including all of the Towns of Fabius (1798), Tully, Preble, and Scott (the latter two now in Cortland County), along with parts of the Towns of Spafford, Otisco (1806), LaFayette (1825), Onondaga (1794), Truxton and Cuyler (The latter two now in Cortland County).
The Village of Pompey developed about 10.5 miles south of the main east-west Native American trail, which became the Genesee Road (1794) and then the Seneca Turnpike (1800), running through Cazenovia, Manlius and Onondaga Hollow (south of Syracuse). The segment of modern US 20, connecting Cazenovia and Skaneateles by way of Pompey and LaFayette, was not built until 1934. The town flourished as sawmills, grist mills and later many other kinds of mills were erected on Limestone and Butternut Creeks. Agriculture became the primary industry, and although many of the farms have disappeared over the past one hundred fifty years, there are a few left.
Nearby Towns: Fabius Town • Fabius Vlg • LaFayette Town •