Fabius Town Hall is located at 7786 Main Street, Fabius, NY 13063; phone: 315-683-5215.
The region was part of the Central New York Military Tract used to pay soldiers of the American Revolution. The town was formed in March 1798 from Pompey and was one of the original townships in the Military Tract established in 1790. The town name, "Fabius," probably refers to any one of a number of famous Romans, but exactly which one is no longer known.
The entire town embraced all of the present towns of Fabius, Tully, Preble and Scott, nearly all of Truxton and Cuyler and the south parts of Otisco and Spafford—a territory ten by twenty miles in extent.
In April 1808, Fabius was reduced to its present limits by the formation of Cortland County, which took off nearly all of the towns of Truxton and Cuyler.