The town of Brownstown was platted and designated as the county seat of government in 1816. It was named for Jacob Brown, a General who served in the War of 1812.
The Brownstown district — roughly bounded by Walnut Street between Sugar and Poplar streets, and Main Street between Cross and Spring streets — encompasses the downtown commercial district and the 1872 Jackson County Courthouse. The historic district includes several good examples of architectural styles popular between 1880 and 1910, including Italianate, Queen Anne, and Romanesque Revival. [www.indianalandmarks.org].