Alpharetta City Hall is located at 2 South Main street, Alpharetta GA 30009.
Every year in the 1800's farmers and merchants from South Carolina and North Georgia met in Cumming, Georgia on their way to Atlanta to trade. They formed a caravan of covered wagons. At the corners of Main Street and Union Hill Road in Alpharetta they stopped and spent the night. They often set up tents and as the years went by they acquired land and built log houses. A tiny village named New Prospect Camp Ground was formed. This village, made up of tents, a log school, and arbor became a trading post where Indians and white settlers traded. The surrounding countryside provided excellent farming land, especially for cotton. On December 11, 1857 the town was chartered and became the county seat of Milton County. The town was renamed Alpharetta from the Greek words "alpha" meaning first and "retta" meaning town. The corporate limits of the township of Alpharetta extended over and embraced one-half miles in all directions from the newly built Wooden County Court House
In 1856 Dr. Oliver Skelton built a small brick Greek Revival home on the highest point in Milton County. The house has been restored and stands today at 61 Roswell Street. It is believed to be the oldest house in Alpharetta. During the 1870s the "academy" was built and opened for students. Room and board was offered. Academy Street earned its name form this institution. Many years later a public school was erected on this site and served all students until Milton High School was opened in 1921. Little remains of Alpharetta's rugged, nineteenth-century history. Only a few structures, such as the Skelton, Teasly and Manning houses, predate the 1910 fire that destroyed much of the City's business district. Development of the downtown area proceeded at a modest pace until after 1931, when Milton County's merger with Fulton County brought improved services, including the area's first paved roads. The "main street" character of the downtown area reached maturity during the 1930s and 1940s, when the town served as a crossroads catering to salesmen and other travelers as well as residents of the surrounding area.
In 1950 the community continued to be a cotton and farming community. Cotton was brought into Alpharetta for ginning, sale, and warehousing. Three gins were located in Alpharetta. Farmers also began raising chicken and cattle. In the 1970s, continued expansion of Atlanta northward made Alpharetta a popular residential area. The 1980s economic boom and proliferation of office complexes changed the skyline and overall character of Alpharetta to a major business and residential area. The North Fulton Regional Hospital was built in 1983. During the decade of the 1990s Alpharetta's population mushroomed to over 30,000 residents, and includes 21 square miles.
Nearby Towns: Johns Creek City • Roswell City •