Photo: Swan House, ca. 1928, 3099 Andrews Drive NW, Atlanta, GA, designed by Phillip Trammell Shutze for cotton heirs, the Edward H. Inman Family. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Photograph by user:Evilarry, 2008, (own work) [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed September, 2012.
Atlanta City Hall is located at 55 Trinity Avenue, Atlanta GA 30303.
The City of Atlanta originated in 1837 as a railroad terminus on the Western and Atlantic Railroad, and was called simply Terminus. As the city's population grew, it was decided the area needed a new name. First, in 1843, it was renamed Marthasville after Gov. Wilson Lumpkin's daughter Martha. Two years later it was renamed Atlanta, the origin either being Martha's middle name "Atalanta," or the feminized version of Atlantic, as in the railroad company.
Nearby Towns: Decatur City • East Point City •