Stonington Town Hall is located at 152 Elm Street, Stonington, CT 06378.
Stonington was settled about 1649 and was at first claimed by Massachusetts and named Southertown. Connecticut was organized in 1662, and the town's name was changed to Mystic in 1665. The following year (1666) the name was changed to its present Stonington. Population (ca. 2010) was approximately 18,000 residents.
Stonington is located in New London County in southeast Connecticut. The Town is bounded by Ledyard, Groton and the Mystic River to the west, Westerly, Rhode Island and the Pawcatuck River to the east, Fishers Island Sound and Little Narragansett Bay to the south and North Stonington to the north. Stonington shares the village of Mystic with the Town of Groton while the Borough of Stonington is a separate governing entity within its borders. Pawcatuck, like Mystic, is closely tied to its neighbor, Westerly, RI, sharing many common issues and services. With its quaint historic villages, spectacular waterfront views, and rocky, stone wall lined uplands; the aptly named Town of Stonington is one of the most scenically beautiful towns in Connecticut and plays a major role in the State's growing tourist economy. Stonington covers 50 square miles.