Lakewood City Hall is located at 480 South Allison Parkway, Lakewood, CO 80226.
Earliest settlement of the community that is now Lakewood occurred just prior to 1860 as a result of gold-seekers. Notable early developments still standing include the Stone House at South Garrison and Estes streets, and the Rooney Ranch at West Alameda Avenue and C-470.
In the late 1800s, there were a few subsistence farms, small dairies and orchards. Families slowly settled into the area. Entrepreneurs began to build businesses to serve the new residents and those traveling through the area. The highest concentration of commercial and residential uses occurred along the West Colfax Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard corridors. In 1890, Jefferson County had a population of 8,450. At that time, the City of Denver had about 100,000 residents.
The name Lakewood was commonly used long before the City was incorporated in 1969. The first known use of the name was when the Loveland and Welch families created the Lakewood Subdivision in 1899. The Jefferson County Board of Commissioners awarded the Loveland and Welch families the right to build and operate a railroad on east-west streets, through the Lakewood Subdivision, from what is now Sheridan Boulevard to the City of Golden. The Denver, Lakewood and Golden Railroad was formed. The railroad right of way was established toward the end of the 19th century. The expansion of the railroad and development of a network of irrigation ditches made it possible for farms and businesses to prosper.
Roadway improvements set the stage for continued growth in the early to mid-20th century. By 1939, businesses and neighborhoods were linked by a thousand miles of county roads. In 1941, 6,000 workers labored eight months to open the Remington Arms Company, an ammunition factory on what is now the Denver Federal Center at Kipling Street and West Alameda Avenue. As workers and their families moved into the area, demand increased for housing, schools and services. During the 1950s, people began to move to Jefferson County for its rural character. The county had more horses per person than any other county in the United States. One of the largest growth spurts in county history occurred during this time when the population increased by 130 percent from 1950 to 1960.
Nearby Towns: Bow Mar Town • Edgewater City • Morrison Town • Mountain View Town • Sheridan City • Wheat Ridge City •