The Washington Square neighborhood followed the conversion of a former municipal dump into a city park ca. 1922. The residential neighborhood was fully developed by the end of World War II. Formerly known variously as Orange Heights, Clement Heights and Heather Heights, the neighborhood was re-christened as Washington Square in the late 1990s.
The majority of the approximately 250 homes were built between 1910 and 1940. The neighborhood is anchored on the northwest by the 5-acre Washington Park. The City of Pasadena designated the neighborhood as a historic district in 2003.
Belvidere Street • Claremont Street East • El Molino Avenue North • Gladys Court • Heather Square • Hudson Avenue North • Mountain Street East • Palm Terrace • Washington Boulevard East