Photo: Home at 416 South 11th Street, ca. 1919, Travis College Hill Historic District, Garland, TX The Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017. Photographer: Lay & Louis Moore, 2016, for nomination document, Travis College Hill Historic District, Dallas County, TX NR# SG100000672, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Garland City Hall is located at 200 North Fifth Street, Garland, TX 75040.
In 1887 Congress settled a dispute between the communities of Duck Creek and Embree by authorizing a post office to be built between the two towns. The post office was named Garland to honor Augustus H. Garland, attorney general under President Grover Cleveland.
By 1890 the new (merged) town's population approached 500 and was home to 3 grist mills, 3 cotton gins, a roller flour mill and a number of hotels and other businesses. Local merchant, M. Davis Williams, served as Garland's first mayor. Garland was incorporated in 1891.
Nearby Towns: Richardson City • Rowlett City •