Orwigsburg Boro Hall is located at 209 North Warren Street, Orwigsburg PA 17961.
Orwigsburg was settled around 1794 and incorporated 1913 from part of West Brunswick Township.
Orwigsburg was the county seat from 1813 to 1851 at which time the seat of government was moved to Pottsville Boro. (Pottsville became a 3rd class City in 1911).
Orwigsburg was laid out in 1794 by Peter Orwig, bachelor, of Brunswick Township, then Berks County. A small pass book found among the effects of Christopher Loeser, Esq., gives the names of one hundred and forty-eight purchasers of lots, with the dates of the deeds to the same, all of which were recorded during the months of April, 1795, and April, 1796. Some of these lots were subject to ground rent and on this fact the claims of a lawsuit by the Orwig heirs and others is based. Schuylkill County separated from Berks and Northampton in 1811, but it was not until March 12, 1813, that Orwigsburg was regularly incorporated and became the County seat.
Nearby Towns: Middleport Boro • New Philadelphia Boro • West Brunswick Twp • Windsor Twp •