Telford Borough municipal offices are located at 122 Penn Avenue, Telford PA 18969; phone: 215-723-5000.
Home on West Broad Street compliments of
Cheri Savini | Keller Williams Real Estate-Montgomeryville
610-217-6420 (direct) | 215-631-1900 (broker)
Telford Borough public school students attend the Souderton Area School District.
In the year 1737, Conrad Detterer purchased the land on which Telford ultimately developed. It included about 120 acres and evolved quite early into a small, farm service oriented village.
Telford was accessible by road and railroad with the completion of County Line Road in 1752. The name Telford, adopted in 1867, was given in recognition of Thomas Telford who was an Englishman known for his roadmaking skills. In 1886, the borough petitioned the Bucks County Court for a borough charter which was granted. However, it was not until 1897 that the Montgomery County Court granted Telford a charter and allowed it to secede from Franconia Township. At the time, Telford (Montgomery County) was known as West Telford. In 1937, the boroughs of Telford and West Telford merged by order of the Governor.
In 1780, the first industry was introduced into the future Telford area when a tannery was founded. However, there was not much activity in Telford until the railroad opened in 1857. As in Souderton, textile and cigar making industries located along the railroad in Telford. Telford depended more on the cigar industry then its neighbor Souderton. Telford was almost completely transformed by the cigar industry. The industry furnished employment and brought investment into the community. The establishment of cigar manufacturing was a prelude to the complete change in orientation of borough industry from local farm processing to the conversion of imported raw materials into finished products to be exported to a regional or national market.
With a growing population many retail stores opened in the 19th and early 20th Century. During the same time, many homes were converted into shops. This created a mix of uses across the borough. This pattern of development still exists today.