Upper Macungie Township

Lehigh County, Pennsylvania

HomeWhats NewSite IndexContactSearch

Upper Macungie Town Hall is located at 8330 Schantz Road, Breinigsville, PA 18031.
Phone: 610‑395‑4892.

Neighborhoods

Upper Macungie as described in 1901 [1]

The meaning of the word Macungie is of Indian origin and means the "eating place of bears." When food became scarce upon the mountains the bears came to the valleys below for food, hence the name. Population in 1900 was 2,084. It was organized as a township in 1742. The first settlement was made in 1729 at Spring Creek near Trexlertown, later known as the Schwartz farm by Jeremiah Trexler and children. The first public road through the township was made in 1732, from Trexlertown to Goshenhoppen.

  1. James J. Hauser, A History of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, Times Publishing Company, Emmaus, Pennsylvania, 1901.

Nearby Towns: Longswamp Twp • Lower Macungie Twp • Lowhill Township • Macungie Boro • North Whitehall Twp • South Whitehall Twp • Topton Boro •


HomeWhats NewSite IndexContact
PrivacyDisclaimer • © 1997-2024, The Gombach Group