Photo: Abbeville (Mount Pleasant), ca. 1756, 1140 Columbia Avenue, Lancaster Township, PA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Photographed by User:Smallbones (own work), 2013, [cc-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed February, 2014.
Lancaster Township Municipal Building is located at 1240 Maple Avenue, Lancaster PA 17603.
Lancaster is an original township (established 1729), and named for the county. It was the smallest in area of the original divisions of the county, but the most important, as the seat of justice was located within its area. The earliest settlers were Swiss Mennonites, who came in 1717-20. The Philadelphia and Lancaster Turnpike gave great impetus to the early development of this region. Population in 1940 was 6,151. [Population 2008, approximately 14,000.]
Nearby Towns: Conestoga Twp • East Lampeter Twp • East Petersburg Boro • Lancaster City • Lancaster City • Manor Twp • Millersville Boro • Mountville Boro • Pequea Twp • West Lampeter Twp •