Earl Township municipal offices are located at 517 North Railroad Avenue, New Holland PA 17557.
Earl is an original township, organized June 9, 1729, and named for Hans Graaf, a Swiss refugee, who was the first settler in the Pequea Valley, Earl being an equivalent of Graaf. He remained the principal person in the new settlement to the day of his death in 1746. The most numerous of the early settlers were Germans from the Palatinate, many coming in the "William and Sarah," in 1727. The township was very extensive and was subsequently divided, East Earl and West Earl being taken from her limits. This area was singularly free from Indian depredations, which were so frequent in other parts of the extensive county. Among the famous residents of the township were General Henry Hambright, of the Continental Army; John W. Kittera, statesman and jurist; and William Hiester, Congressman, Speaker of State Senate, member State Constitutional Convention, 1838. Population in 1940 was 2,875. [Population 2008, approximately 6,500.]
Nearby Towns: Akron Boro • Brecknock Twp • East Cocalico Twp • Ephrata Boro • Ephrata Twp • Leacock Twp • New Holland Boro • Terre Hill Boro •