Bart Township Hall is located at 46 Quarry Road, Quarryville PA 17566.
Erected from a part of Sadsbury Township in the spring of 1744. It was named from the titular appendage to the name of Sir William Keith (Baronet, abbreviated to Bart.), who was Governor of the Province from 1717 to 1726, in which time the township was settled by Scotch Irish Presbyterians. The township is watered by Nickel Mine Run and Meeting House Run, with their affluent streams, when uniting they form West Branch of the Octoraro. A band of outlaws, counterfeiters, and robbers, known as the Gap Gang, in the early days waylaid travelers as they passed through the Gap seeking the western country. Iron ore mines furnished ore to Phoenixville Iron Company for many years. Nickel mines, near Gap, had been worked for their copper prior to 1744, probably as early as 1718. The mining of copper was not profitable, and it was not until 1852 that the ore was mined for its nickel. The Gap Mining Company smelted the ore until 1860. Joseph Wharton purchased the mines and furnaces in May, 1862, and operated them on an extensive and profitable basis.
The Downing gristmill, on Octoraro Creek, was put in operation in 1747, and it continued under several ownerships until destroyed by fire in 1877. The Georgetown Mill was built in 1765 by Felix Baughman and continued in operation until recent years.
Population in 1940 was 1,191.
Nearby Towns: Christiana Boro • Colerain Twp • Drumore Twp • Quarryville Boro • Sadsbury Twp • Salisbury Twp • Strasburg Boro •