Photo: Zercher Hotel, Green Street, Christiana. PA. Home of the Underground Railroad Visitors Center. Photographed by User:Smallbones (own work), 2011, [cc-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed June, 2011.
Christiana Borough Hall is located at 10 West Slokom Avenue, Christiana PA 17509.
Christiana was incorporated from Sadsbury Township, March 1, 1894. It is on land that was granted to twenty-one servants, so-called, and which has since been known as the "servants' tract." The plot was surveyed in 1709. The title recited that: "WHEREAS, John Thomas, Margaret Thomas, Anthony Morgan, Elizabeth Morgan, John Jones, Richard Kanthroll, Daniel Thomas, Elinor Thomas, John Floyd, Humphrey Edwards, Jeremiah Osburne, Elias Curne, Jacob Willis, Evan Williams, Margaret Williams, Edmund McVeigh, Alice McVeigh, Abraham Pratt, Jane Pratt, Thomas Pratt, and John Pratt, all of the Province of Pennsylvania, having come over servants into the province at the settlement thereof, and thereby having severally rights to fifty acres of land each in said province by virtue of the Proprietaries promise in England." The town was laid out by William Noble in 1833, and named for his wife, Christiana. Noble erected the first industry, which was an extensive foundry, blacksmith shop, machine shop, and a general manufacturing enterprise. Most tragic of the anti-slavery riots prior to the Civil War took place here September 11, 1851.
Chief products have been foundry, machine shop, woodworking mill, silk, milk products, and agriculture. Population in 1940 was 1,062.
Nearby Towns: Atglen Boro • Bart Twp • Highland Twp • Sadsbury Twp • Sadsbury Twp • Salisbury Twp • West Fallowfield Twp • West Sadsbury Twp •