Borough municipal offices are located at 57 East Main Street, Waynesboro PA 17268.
Incorporated from Washington Township, December 21, 1818. The village was long known as Mount Vernon. John Wallace was a pioneer settle. His son John Wallace Jr., laid out the village December 29, 1797, when it was named Wallacetown. The name was soon changed to Waynesburg in honor of General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, brilliant offices of the American Revolutionary and Indian Wars, whose death in the previous year was a reminder of the heroic services he had rendered his State and country, and the further fact that John Wallace fought in the Revolutionary War under the direct command of General Wayne. The name was changed to Waynesboro to avoid confustion with Waynesburg, Greene County. The town was raided by Confederate Cavalry under General Jubal A. Early, June 23, 1863, and during the retreat from Gettysburg, General Robert E; Lee's army marched through the borough, July 6th.