Wattsburg Borough offices are located at 14431 Main Street, Wattsburg PA 16442.
Wattsburg is a community that has its roots deep in American history. In 1795 William Miles and his father-in-law David Watts, came to Erie County as the first surveyors of the tenth Donation District. The first clearing at Wattsburg was made by William Miles who built a storehouse as depot of supplies for the surrounding area and for the purchase of furs. At that time the headquarters of the Population Company was at Colt's Station and all the trade between Lake Erie and the Allegheny River was carried on in canoes up and down French Creek. The first road was opened up between North East and Lake Erie in 1798. This road was extended to Wattsburg in 1809 (Route 89). The year 1820 marked the construction of Wattsburg's first school. The school was built on the very spot where the Wattsburg High School was located prior to the building of the consolidated school in 1957. In 1822 Mr. Miles persuaded the county to build a bridge over the West Branch of French Creek; this was the first permanent bridge constructed in Erie County. During the same year Miles built a grist mill and a saw mill and induced Lyman Robinson to build a tavern. In 1828 Miles laid out Wattsburg and named it after his father-in-law David Watts. During the same year a post office was established and a main route between Erie and Jamestown was implemented via Wattsburg. Wattsburg was incorporated as a borough in 1833.
Nearby Towns: Amity Township • Elgin Boro •