Erie City Hall is located at 626 State Street, Erie PA 16501.
Metropolitan Erie today (1923), with a population of nearly 125,000, its splendid and diversified industries, its wonderful land locked harbor, its efficient schools and numerous and beautiful churches, together with staple commercial and solid financial institutions, is a splendid tribute, a grateful monument to the memory and daring of its early founders.
The first white men to visit the site of what is now "Greater Erie" came in the summer of 1611, and composed the main portion of the party of that adventurous Frenchman, Sieur de Champlain, who in 1611-12, ascended the Great Lakes as far as Lake Huron.
The settlement of Erie began in the late spring of 1753 when the French erected a stockade and blockhouse, known as Fort Presque Isle. With the completion of the Fort came the pioneers. The settlement grew, though terrific inroads were made during Pontiac's bloody massacres and the subsequent French and Indian Wars.
From the time of the coming of the French until the arrival of the British and later of the American forces, the population of the settlement varied. The first Federal census taken in 1800, gave to Erie a population of only 268 white residents.
Nearby Towns: Millcreek Twp • Wesleyville Boro •