Manlius Village Hall is located at 1 Arkie Albanese Ave., Manlius NY 13104.
Manlius was incorporated in 1813.
With its rich forests and land, the Village of Manlius started like most Central New York communities, as an agricultural community. The intersection of a transportation route going east and west, Seneca Street, and a transportation route going south established the first commercial area and the downtown of the Village of Manlius. Today, Seneca and Academy Streets delimit this junction. The location of the mills and factories in the proximity of Limestone Creek, for more efficient use of waterpower, developed an industrial area, Fayette Street.
Throughout history several transportation modes shifted the commercial development from the Village of Manlius. The opening of the Erie Canal, in 1825, moved commercial traffic north of the Village. The completion of the Syracuse-Utica Railroad, another transportation mode, decreased even further the commercial development in the Village by shifting it to a new commercial center, Syracuse.
Limestone Creek lost its purpose to mills and factories because of the development of new power sources. Gradually the mills and factories in the Village of Manlius could not compete with others closer to Syracuse.
The linkage created by the electric trolley between the Village of Manlius and Syracuse, in 1898, transformed the Village into a residential suburb of Syracuse. Automobiles and new roads revitalized the Village of Manlius during the second half of the twentieth Situational Assessment Village of Manlius Economic Development Plan. The Village continued to grow as a suburb of Syracuse, and by the 1960s, became the fastest growing village in New York State.
Nearby Towns: East Syracuse Vlg • Fayetteville Vlg • Manlius Town • Minoa Vlg •