East Syracuse Village Hall is located at 204 N. Center Street, East Syracuse, NY 13057.
The Village of East Syracuse was incorporated November 12, 1881. The Village of East Syracuse grew along side of the New York Central Railroad System, and accommodating the needs of the railroad workers and their families. At the time of incorporation the Village had 1,099 residents. Its growth stemmed from the development of freight yards, shops and other railroad facilities of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company (now known as Conrail). The railroad yards became the major classification yard on the New York Central System.
The current settlement, originally named "Messina," grew up along the northern edge of the Erie Canal across from Headson's Landing, a busy canal port with the only bridge to cross the canal east of downtown Syracuse for ten miles. In the middle of the nineteenth century the Messina Plank Road (now New York State Route 290) was built from Messina east to Manlius Center and the canal port there.
East Syracuse is currently home to Bristol Labs, a division of Bristol-Myers Squibb. Formerly the world's largest source of penicillin, production was ended there in 2005 due to the less expensive production of this antibiotic overseas. Bristol Labs now makes several newer drugs, along with housing a state-of-the-art, ramp-up facility designed to quickly adapt to make moderate quantities of new drugs for clinical trials.
Nearby Towns: Cicero Town • DeWitt Town • Fayetteville Vlg • Manlius Town • Manlius Vlg • Minoa Vlg • North Syracuse Vlg • Syracuse City •