Princeton Township and Princeton Borough merged in 2013. The Municipality is now known, simply, as Princeton, NJ. Princeton Brough Had been formed from the Township, which completely surrounded it, in 1894.
Historians cite Henry Greenland as the first European to build a house within the present day township boundaries. He left New Engalnd ca. 1683 and settled here. That same decade saw six Quaker families settle near the Kings Highway (Route 206). By the 1720s there was a landing, a grist mill, and a Friends Meeting House. The township was incorporated in 1838 when Mercer County was established. The township remained primarily agricultural until the 1920s and 1930s when development began to shift land usage to a suburban Princeton (and Princeton University) bedroom community.
Nearby Towns: Lawrence Twp • Plainsboro Twp • Princeton Boro • Rocky Hill Boro • West Windsor Twp •